Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had two separate cases of Excel crashing and closing with an unexplained error when a formula references a cell in another sheet of the same spreadsheet. I can always replicate the problem in that spreadsheet, but never anywhere else. The spreadsheets are not large (1 is 500KB and 14 sheets, the other 80KB and 6 sheets). The formulae I was using were very simple arithmetic. I am using Excel 2003 SP and Windows XP SP3, both fully patched.

Has anyone identified where this problem arises, so that I can try to avoid it in future? I have sent reports to Microsoft, but......

Cheers

Chris B

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The workbook has probably become corrupt - you may have to reconstruct it.
    You can copy all cells (or the used range) of a worksheet into a new workbook, but you shouldn't copy a sheet as a whole - that is likely to copy the corruption too.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not convinced. In one case I had to rebuild anyway, since I had not saved for an hour. In the other, I continued using it with a bodge to achieve what I wanted. In any case, Excel itself thought it had a problem, since it "called home".

I will try it in Excel 2007 in a bit, to see if the same thing happens.

Chris

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just tried to do the same thing on the same spreadsheet in Excel 2007 and it worked fine. Looks like an Excel 2003 bug, methinks.

Chris B

Thanks
    Do you have update KB 973475 installed? That seems to be one of the many bugs with that particular update.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Do you have update KB 973475 installed? That seems to be one of the many bugs with that particular update.
    Rory - what a brilliant "get". I did indeed install it on 12 Nov, and as far as I can see my first problems occurred on 20 Nov. This particular bug, I find after your prompt, is documented in
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973475.

I tested on one of the spreadsheets, disabling freeze frames per the MS article, and the formula worked without a crash. I will stick with this workaround unless the problem occurs too often, in which case I will uninstall KB973475.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris