Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Office 2007 on my Windows 7 (64-bit) PC. I also use the latest Secunia's Personal Software Inspector. There was no security "ripple" referring to PowerPoint in the first few months with this combination. All of a sudden sometime in Dec. (I was gone the first two weeks of Dec.) PSI is now reporting a "critical" security problem with the viewer referring to PPTView located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\PPTVIEW.EXE. Secunia's recommended download solution link merely takes you to Windows update web site which informs me that my system is up to date. I tried to find out something from Microsoft's Knowledge Base but I found nothing related to a security problem with PowerPoint 2007 viewer. At first I thought "who needs it?" as PowerPoint 2007 natively handles .xppt files, but I then realized PPTView would be
    needed it you embedded it in an .xppt file with a person who is using Office 2003, or earlier, or not using Office at all. Has anyone experience this and/or fixed the problem?
    Don Plorde

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You will find that " Secunia" report are NOT alway 100% valid.
    Also if you have a older version of the "Installer", Secunia just may be seeing that and is reporting on the older version.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I got this report from Secunia and just renamed pptview.exe to pptview.exe.OLD

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    I got this report from Secunia and just renamed pptview.exe to pptview.exe.OLD
    I renamed to pptviewold.exe and PSI found it. Re-considering using pptview.exe.old might fool PSI from detecting the supposed security problem. Thanks, I'll try it.
    Don Plorde

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    You will find that " Secunia" report are NOT alway 100% valid.
    Also if you have a older version of the "Installer", Secunia just may be seeing that and is reporting on the older version.
    I'm aware that PSI is not 100% accurate. According to Susan Bradley's patch column in Windows Secrets Newsletter, she notes the same but says that it is still useful and better than
    nothing. Don
    Don Plorde