2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have Outlook Express but would like to start anew with Windows Live Mail, is it possible to install WLM without it importing my OLE?
    I started the process a couple days ago but backed out when it looked like that's what it was doing.

Thank you,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just read the thread titled " OutlookExpress transfer to Windows Live Mail" and am now wondering if I mis-read the WLM installation process the other day. Maybe it wasn't importing my OLE? That's a step I would take if so desired?, which I don't.
    Please excuse me if this doesn't make much sense, I'm not computer savy.

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I just read the thread titled " OutlookExpress transfer to Windows Live Mail" and am now wondering if I mis-read the WLM installation process the other day. Maybe it wasn't importing my OLE? That's a step I would take if so desired?, which I don't.
    Please excuse me if this doesn't make much sense, I'm not computer savy.
    Is there a particular reason you don't want the OE mail imported?

Outlook Express & Windows Live Mail implies it is a manual process.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply Joe. Yes, I had finally read the link you refered to, hence my 2nd post. My reason for not wanting OLE imported is that I haven't been keeping it cleaned out & have lots of saved things that could just as well be trashed & I just don't have the time to go through all of them & still keep up with new mail so thought if I could start fresh with WLM & still have access to OLE, then I could take my time to go back & glean OLE. Like I said, I'm not computer savy so.... is it possible to do that? My ISP provides 2 email accounts so figured I'd take advantage of the 2nd one to use WLM & if I find anything in OLE that's really important I could just fwd. it to my new account. Probably not the way anyone computer smart would do it? :-)

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My reason for not wanting OLE imported is that I haven't been keeping it cleaned out & have lots of saved things that could just as well be trashed & I just don't have the time to go through all of them & still keep up with new mail so thought if I could start fresh with WLM & still have access to OLE, then I could take my time to go back & glean OLE. Like I said, I'm not computer savy so.... is it possible to do that? My ISP provides 2 email accounts so figured I'd take advantage of the 2nd one to use WLM & if I find anything in OLE that's really important I could just fwd. it to my new account.
    It has been a while since I've installed WLM on a machine where I was using OE. I'm sorry but I don't remember definitively whether it was an automatic or manual process. If it was me I'd just go ahead and install WLM and see what happens.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I finally found the best answer, after much searching, on a site in The Netherlands, "yes, WLM does automatically import all of OLE". So now I'm debating whether to go ahead with it or install Thunderbird. Problem there is that I've been reading lots of complaints on the newest version so will just have to take more time than I wanted to before I set up my new account.

Thank you though for responding, and "Happy New Year"!

Should I go ahead & say this is resolved?

I may end up posting a new thread concerning TB after I've had more time to check it out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thank you though for responding, and "Happy New Year"!

Should I go ahead & say this is resolved?

I may end up posting a new thread concerning TB after I've had more time to check it out.
    You're welcome and "Happy New Year" to you also.

If you decide to try TB and have questions definitely start a new thread.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would you believe I'm still pondering this . Does anyone know if all identities in Outlook Express are tranferred when Windows Live Mail installs, or just the "main" identity?

Thank you.

XP Home SP3
    Internet Explorer 8
    currently using Outlook Express

( gonna have to figure out how to get all my 'puter info into one spot & get it a permanent fixture of all my posts)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if all identities in Outlook Express are tranferred when Windows Live Mail installs, or just the "main" identity?
    It has been quite a while since I did that but I think they all are transferred.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I do have Outlook Express but would like to start anew with Windows Live Mail, is it possible to install WLM without it importing my OLE?
    I started the process a couple days ago but backed out when it looked like that's what it was doing.

Thank you,
    Let the install complete and then simply delete what you don't need. If you are planning on starting fresh then you will
    have to delete anyway, at least you can go through it and decide what you want deleted.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know i might sound a bit thick but at 'over 60' please i might be excused.Reading through these posts i am wondering i f that is why i can;t delete outlook express,i have never used it but always used windows mail,now changed to live mail. Do i realy need outlook express and is there someway to remove it from my pc.thanks
    PS please excuse the spelling but my one finger typing sometime goes astray..

Thanks
    I don't think there is a way to completely remove OE without messing some other part of the os.
    OE, as you know is part of the os (XP) it shares code with the os.
    What I did when I used XP is uninstall what I could from the control panel's windows features section
    and then removed the folders and shortcuts...but you'll always be stuck with part of it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.