Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    hello, I have a rather odd issue, after every reboot/restart I loose my network connection. To reestablish a network connection I have to disable then enable the network controller. this started to act up about 2 weeks ago, before that no problems.

this is a dual boot system W7 Ult x64 along side Xp Pro - I can boot in and out of XP without any network issues so I'm guessing this is a W7 issue only.

the computer is hooked to a Linksys router via cat 5E cable, the other computers on the network are a mix of W7x32 and XP with no problems.

I have the latest bios update with all motherboard/nic updates and windows updates
    clean system..no viruses

thanks for any input~

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have the latest bios update with all motherboard/nic updates and windows updates
    But do you have Windows 64 bit drivers for your NIC?
    You will need to check with the OEM of your machine and/or NIC.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes all the correct 64 bit drivers. it was problem free up till a couple weeks ago.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Lastname View Post
    ...it was problem free up till a couple weeks ago.
    So what happened (or can you remember something you did) a couple of weeks ago?
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well the day it started it cut network while it was on, I was distracted by the children but noticed the messenger alert that I lost network connection. that day and at least a few prior the only thing I did was check emails and basic surfing, I do believe Firefox had a update that day or prior. I ran all the trouble shooters with no resolve, restarted the system into xp worked fine, booted back into W7 still nothing, killed all computers on network reset router and modem, restart to W7 disable- enable NIC controller and had network back again.

although my first experience with the troubleshooters seemed quite useless, all the other features and superb search options on W7 still have me excited, what a excellent OS. you would think indexing a total of 6TB of storage would slow things down a bit....not at all. Sorry my W7 excitement got me off topic a bit

MSI K9N SLI Platinum
    NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP
    AMD AM2 X2 6000+ liquid cooled
    Raedon HD 3850 PCIX16 512
    6TB internal SATA 3.0

Josh~

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What protection programs are you running, such a AV, spyware, firewall and etc?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    windows firewall and Avast. I will disable the Avast start-up and reboot. Never gave that option a thought.

also do a weekly scan with M-bam

Thanks
    I would suggest MS Security Essentials here, http://www.microsoft.com/protect/default.aspx I used Avast and something got through. Everything I have read about the FREE MS Security Essentials is very positive. When first installed on 2 other PC's it found several Malware programs that Avast had missed.

For your original problem I have found Windows 7 is the easiest network conn. of all versions of Windows. I would definitely reflash the Linksys router, then go to http://192.168.1.1 This will take you to the router admin site. The general initial settings are ID - admin, Password - either password or 1234. Your documentation should help with this. You can go through all the settings and make sure they are correct.

I hope this helps. Merry Christmas
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ive had great luck with Avast, I have tried them all at some point. With a little smart surfing/downloading getting a virus is rarely a issue.
    The router has the latest firmware flash, if that were the issue I'm sure the other computers on the network would be affected as well.

Have A Fantastic Day~

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I disabled and/or deleted every program that had a auto start-up entry including my antivirus, and disabled the windows firewall. no luck. I'm just going to reinstall the OS...already spent more time researching this problem then it would take me to reinstall and reconfigure the dual boot.

thanks for all the input though ~ Josh

Thanks
    hello, I have a rather odd issue, after every reboot/restart I loose my network connection. To reestablish a network connection I have to disable then enable the network controller.
    You state your computer is connected via Cat5 cable. Does your computer also have a wireless adapter? If so, is it enabled (while in Win7)?
    Regards,
    PaulB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    no wireless adapter on this computer

Thanks
    no wireless adapter on this computer
    OK... scratch that possible source for the problem. I asked because I had a computer where both adapters were inadvertently enabled. Caused all kinds of problems.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    OK... scratch that possible source for the problem. I asked because I had a computer where both adaptors were inadvertently enabled. Caused all kinds of problems.
    What kinds of problems Paul? I just set up a new HP Win7 box for a friend of mine. The machine (desktop) has both a wired NIC and a wireless adaptor. When setting up the machine at my house, I simply plugged the computer into an existing Ethernet cable. I didn't disable the wireless adaptor (in Device Manager), but everything seemed to be running perfectly.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We to have had issues with a wireless connection. Some times the wireless will find a connection before the "wired" NIC does and then one id NOT on the network that they think they are.

So, one of things I do is that I try to turn OFF the Wireless when I am not using it and do not get these strange messages about low connection speeds and weak signals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast