New Lounger
    Thanks

I've just purchased a new desktop running Vista with IE7. My earlier desktop had XP and was running -- to my eternal regret -- IE8.

I don't want IE8 on this new desktop -- I don't even want IE at all, but am having problems installing Firefox (though that's another story.)

Anyway. I exported all my bookmarks from IE8 in the usual way and imported 'em into IE7 only for IE7 not to recognise any of 'em because that's the way IE8 is. Opening the folder in Notebook and saving everything as ASCI got around that problem, but it seems typical of the way Microsoft blunders around.

However. . . The Links Bar is now populated with my favorite fast-access websites just as before. . .

Except that every tab displays the name of the site and then the .url suffix. Ah, great. So now every tab is much wider than it needs to be and tabs which were once on-screen are no longer visible.

I could, of course, go manually through every link and rename it to delete the .url suffix. Then again, I could also go out and paint every house in the street: why not? It's going to take almost as long.

So the question is: does anyone know of a quick way to make all those .url suffixes vanish from the IE tabs?

I'm guessing that if I "upgraded" -- the word is used but loosely -- to IE8 again, that might solve the problem. But as noted, having had IE8 once, I certainly don't want it again.

As for dumping IE altogether in favour of Firefox, Opera, or Chrome, that's my ultimate preferred course of action, but for some unfathomable reason I can't get Opera to function (I thought it was a glitch with Opera itself) so Revo'd it out and installed Mozilla Firefox. . . only for the same non-connection issue to occur.

So I'm temporarily stuck with IE and these blasted .url suffixes on every tab. Help appreciated: thanks.

Thanks
    Could you export all your bookmarks, import them in a format that is easier to work on, then save and re-import (having deleted the originals first!)?

(Personally, I'd work on getting Firefox functioning...)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't really understand exactly what you did, or why.

Both IE7 and IE8 use ordinary windows shortcuts to store their bookmarks (files with an extension of .lnk in a normal windows folder), and they store them in the same place, so I can't see any reason for exporting and importing them as you describe.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to clarify here.

If you go the conventional route and export IE8 bookmarks (for example, and as in my case) to another PC, then unless you're importing them into IE8, they're simply not recognised: at the end of the import process, a splash screen says the process was 'not successful'.

I imported from IE8 to IE7 because this new machine is on IE7, and I don't want it to run IE8. The only solution to the incompatability between IE8 and earlier IE versions where bookmark export / import processing is concerned is to (a) export as usual but (b) do not import as usual: an IE8 htm file wll not be recognised in IE7. Hence the need to open in notepad and use the ASCII workaround.

Hope that clarifies things -- I had thought the problem with IE8 bookmarks exporting into any earlier IE version was widely known. But apparently not.

Leif: yup, I must figure out what the heck's wrong at this end re a new browser installation!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Revotel View Post
    ...for some unfathomable reason I can't get Opera to function (I thought it was a glitch with Opera itself) so Revo'd it out and installed Mozilla Firefox. . . only for the same non-connection issue to occur.
    If multiple browsers won't connect, it's usually a firewall or web filtering configuration issue.