Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a clean install from Vista to Win 7 HP 32-bit on my laptop. I installed all the programs I use and then went to HP.com to check on updated drivers for Win 7. I found updates for BIOS and graphics which I installed.

When I rebooted, nothing happened except I could hear the HD starting up. I had no screen shot from the BIOS starting or anything else - just a black screen. I figure a download was corrupt or I "fried" the graphics card.

My question is how do I install anything to the BIOS with any graphics?

Thanks for any help!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a second PC or laptop, you can download and burn a CD of Knoppix, then insert it into your main PC and hope that it will boot on the CD. This will help you to see: i) Is the graphic card really dead, ii) You should be able to see your Hard Disk and see your important files, and copy them on a second disk or a USB key.
    This eco-post is made of recycled electrons

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply and suggestion. It will be a couple days until I can get to a PC that has a CD but I will post what happens when I try it
    Thanks again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Knoppix but got the same results. Only gounds of the HD starting up and the lights of the power, HD and pointing pad.
    Looking at other posts it looks as if I have a doorstop not.
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Many manufacturers modify the BIOS to allow use of new features and hardware - also, some of the big-name brands have been known to try to restrict the use of non-maker supplied hardware.

If the BIOS replacement (flash) goes bad or the data is corrupted or for a different model, then this is the sort of result that ensues. Get on to the makers support site and ask them to bail you out. Check their user forum for similar occurrances.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Andy.
    Have checked with the forum at HP and found that there are MANY unhappy users that have been having the problems like mine. HP's reply is "Oh well. The 1 year warrantry is over so for $398 plus shipping & tax we will repair it". It appears to be a known problem with a NVIDIA board.
    Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    That's a very poor attitude towards their customers Is there no way listed on the HP site or forum to recover from a bad flash that would apply to your laptop?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another idea is to use an external monitor and to connect it before you boot. Press the special Fn key plus F7 (the combination may be slightly different on your laptop) so the output will be redirected to the external device.
    This eco-post is made of recycled electrons

Lounger
    Thanks
    That is a great idea Stephane. The laptop was connected to a external monitor when the problem started. I have tried using the keys for external devices but nothing again.
    Thanks again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andy. I couldn't find a way to recover from a bad flash. The only "suggestions" were about a process called "reflow". It seems that if you take the laptop apart and use a type of heat gun to 'resolder' the motherboard, it MAY recover (sometimes for up to 3 or 4 months). Not sure I want to try this.
    Again, HP has had this problem for the last 2 or 3 years but has done nothing (I guess) to try and fix it (costs too hight?).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    HI, I had this problem when updating a Nvidia driver with Vista. I was lucky to have an Acronis image and used it to get up and running again. love Mal

New Lounger
    Thanks
    HI, I had this problem when updating a Nvidia driver with Vista. I was lucky to have an Acronis image and used it to get up and running again. love Mal

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast