New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can not update iTunes. Every time I try, I get the message "There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package". I recently ran the iTunes update as an administrator and got the same results, only this time iTunes got corrupted and I can't open it at all. I tried a "system restore" but iTunes will not open. HELP

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It would help to know which version of Windows you have. In any case, you should go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and completely remove iTunes. Then start installing it again. If this doesn't work, you can try a product like CCCleaner after you have de-installed iTunes and try again the installation.
    This eco-post is made of recycled electrons

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wexler View Post
    I can not update iTunes. Every time I try, I get the message "There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package".
    Maybe go directly to Apple.com to download rather than using the downloader? http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I can not update iTunes. Every time I try, I get the message "There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package". I recently ran the iTunes update as an administrator and got the same results, only this time iTunes got corrupted and I can't open it at all. I tried a "system restore" but iTunes will not open. HELP
    As a supplement to what Stephane said, you might want to download a copy of the FREE Revo Uninstaller for this and other possible uses at some other time. Be careful that Revo now has a Pro version that sells for $39 but the only real benefit to the Pro (my opinion) is the 64-bit option. If you run a 64-bit OS that's what you would need.

I had a somewhat similar problem with iTunes not too long ago and used Revo to uninstall it. I did get it successfully reinstalled and the only thing I lost (locally) was my shopping cart where I had already marked some songs for download.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephane Quenson View Post
    It would help to know which version of Windows you have. In any case, you should go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and completely remove iTunes. Then start installing it again. If this doesn't work, you can try a product like CCCleaner after you have de-installed iTunes and try again the installation.
    Thanks for the tip Stephane. I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2. I have a lot of other music, not from iTunes, loaded in the player. Will I loose them if I reinstall iTunes? Will I loose any of the purchases from iTunes?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip Stephane. I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2. I have a lot of other music, not from iTunes, loaded in the player. Will I loose them if I reinstall iTunes? Will I loose any of the purchases from iTunes?
    I'm obviously not Stephane, so wait for a reply please. I CAN tell you that when I reinstalled iTunes, it didn't TOUCH any of my music, either that IN the iTunes folders or the MP3s I have in my own constructed music folder(s). Everything is intact. It seems the reinstall impacted ONLY programs, not data files or records.

If, by purchases, you mean those from iTunes such as this iTunes screen, then again the answer is NO, you won't lose that record(s) since they are stored (I'm pretty sure) on the Apple site somewhere. My list goes back to purchases four years ago when I started buying from them.

[attachment=87403:2009-12-27_151038.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images