New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know of a good hard drive diagnostic tool?
    I have a 200g Western Digital, which seems to be working ok, until I make a system back up.
    When making a back up, I get disk error reports. My Belarc Advisor shows my hard drive as healthy.
    Any input would be appreciated. leoinnj

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leoinnj View Post
    Does anyone know of a good hard drive diagnostic tool?
    I have a 200g Western Digital, which seems to be working ok, until I make a system back up.
    When making a back up, I get disk error reports. My Belarc Advisor shows my hard drive as healthy.
    Any input would be appreciated. leoinnj
    It seems to me that the first place you should go is Western Digital's web pages. THEY have diagnostic software for all their drives but you have to look for the SPECIFIC model you're using.

You need to tell us more about this backup you're attempting to do, like with what software and specifically what is/are the errors you see?

New Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Whitmer View Post
    An excellent product - but $89... The OP could almost buy a replacement disk for that price!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    An excellent product - but $89... The OP could almost buy a replacement disk for that price!
    Not only price, but reliability! That's why I always suggest the diagnostic software of the drive manufacturer. I had ONE personal bad experience with SpinRite several years ago and have read an occasional report of others having similar problems. I have since been leery of using the software again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I had ONE personal bad experience with SpinRite several years ago and have read an occasional report of others having similar problems. I have since been leery of using the software again.
    I think it would be fair to say that people running Spinrite are likely to be using it as a last resort, in a desperate attempt to recover something from a seriously-ill disk. In that circumstance, it is quite possible that it cannot work miracles...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not only price, but reliability! That's why I always suggest the diagnostic software of the drive manufacturer. I had ONE personal bad experience with SpinRite several years ago and have read an occasional report of others having similar problems. I have since been leery of using the software again.
    I always view this type of question from the perspective of, "What's the data worth?" That's where I was coming from with my reply.

I'm a storage admin/data manager, so I'm biased. I couldn't care less about the price of the hardware; it's the value of the data that's always first in my mind. If the data is backed up (and verified) in two or three places, then sure - get a new HDD and be done with it.

As far as SpinRite giving problems - well - never here. Of course, your experiences are your experiences. If it failed you, I believe you. Still, I run it all the time. It's let me rescue vast amounts of data from drives that Windows wouldn't even mount.

YMMV, of course.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Whitmer View Post
    I always view this type of question from the perspective of, "What's the data worth?" That's where I was coming from with my reply.
    Of course you're right, John! It is unfair of me to "detour around" SpinRite after "only" one encounter with the product. My main concern from the OP was to get more detail about this backup he's evidently having trouble with - software name, error description, etc.

Since he said the drive "seems to be" working OK, I would've thought first to check the manufacturer's tools.

Anyway, this post is an attempt to soften my comment about GRC's erstwhile product.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course you're right, John! It is unfair of me to "detour around" SpinRite after "only" one encounter with the product. My main concern from the OP was to get more detail about this backup he's evidently having trouble with - software name, error description, etc.

Since he said the drive "seems to be" working OK, I would've thought first to check the manufacturer's tools.

Anyway, this post is an attempt to soften my comment about GRC's erstwhile product.
    Understood. I noticed a lack of information to begin with, so I assumed. (There's that word again.)

Yeah, as long as the data is backed up and verified, running the OEM's diagnostic tools would be a good first step. I'd low-level format the thing to be sure, of course. (Again, assuming that the OP has multiple verified backups.)

Thanks
    Western Digital has an app (free) designed for thier drives.
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was using Acronis back up.
    Since I posted, I have fixed the issue, I ran WinXP check disk, and it replaced the bad sectors.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Modern hard disks should never show bad sectors, they are remapped internally and never shown to the OS. If you are seeing bad sectors your disk may be about to die and your backup will be tested.

cheers, Paul