New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on my Vista machine. I have SP2 installed, 2G of Ram, a dual core Pentium CPU. The Advisor tells me that I can only install the 32 bit version of Windows 7. When I do upgrade I would like to do a custom install of Windows 7, 64 bit version. Is this possible?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    In order to install the 64 bit version your hardware must support it. If the upgrade advisor detected a 32 bit processor it will advise you that you can only install the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

Thanks
    Joe

You might want to run the Intel Processor Identification Utility. The CPU Technologies tab tells you whether "Intel 64 Architecture" is supported... (It isn't on my 3 GHz Pentium4 :sob: )
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe it said 32-bit only because the upgrade advisor was detecting a 32-bit installed OS, and of course, a 64-bit upgrade cannot be used in that situation unless you are going to do a custom install and basically do a clean or side-by-side install so the 32-bit and the 64-bit streams never cross.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Joe

You might want to run the Intel Processor Identification Utility. The CPU Technologies tab tells you whether "Intel 64 Architecture" is supported... (It isn't on my 3 GHz Pentium4 :sob: )
    Thank you for the utility from Intel. I ran it and it confirms that "Intel 64 Architecture is supported". When it comes time to upgrade I plan to do a custom install and run the 64 bit version of Win 7. Thanks to all for the help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Maybe it said 32-bit only because the upgrade advisor was detecting a 32-bit installed OS, and of course, a 64-bit upgrade cannot be used in that situation unless you are going to do a custom install and basically do a clean or side-by-side install so the 32-bit and the 64-bit streams never cross.
    The way I read WUA is this way.
    The advisor looks at your hardware configuration and capabilities, not the kind of OS installed.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I disagree with Viking33. I am running 64 bit architecture and a 32 bit OS. WUA tells me I can only upgrade to 32 bit Windows 7. I want to go 64 bit so it will be a clean install, not an upgrade. WUA only looks at the installed OS and allows you to proceed with the equivalent OS in Win7.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The wording for the Windows Upgrade Adviser speaks of scanning your PC and asks you to connect all your hardware.

IIRC - although it was some time ago - it told me my machine *was* 64-bit capable. At the time I was running 32-bit Vista.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm wagner View Post
    The wording for the Windows Upgrade Adviser speaks of scanning your PC and asks you to connect all your hardware.

IIRC - although it was some time ago - it told me my machine *was* 64-bit capable. At the time I was running 32-bit Vista.

That is my point. It will tell you that you are 64 bit compatible but if you are running 32 bit software then WUA will tell you that your upgrade path is to 32 bit Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence Lee View Post
    That is my point. It will tell you that you are 64 bit compatible but if you are running 32 bit software then WUA will tell you that your upgrade path is to 32 bit Windows 7.
    That is because when you change the "bitness" of the operating system (i.e. from 32-bit to 64-bit or from 64-bit to 32-bit) you must do a clean install not an upgrade. So, it is not an upgrade path.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence Lee View Post
    I disagree with Viking33. I am running 64 bit architecture and a 32 bit OS. WUA tells me I can only upgrade to 32 bit Windows 7. I want to go 64 bit so it will be a clean install, not an upgrade. WUA only looks at the installed OS and allows you to proceed with the equivalent OS in Win7.
    From this Microsoft link:
    http://windows.micro...xp-to-windows-7

A few excerpts:
    ---------------------------------------------------------

[attachment=87413:64 bit.txt]

--------------------------------------------------
    So you see, it scans your CPU to see if it has 64 bit capability, your devices and your software ( NOT your installed OS ) and will tell you of any potential problems.
    A clean custom install will allow 32 to 64 or 64 to 32 bit. Your choice.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!