Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is the right spot for this.
    After some computer repairs, the latest versions of my bookmarks had disappeared.
    I searched for files with bookmarks in the name and found a series of .JSON files,
    dated on consecutive dates, as if they had been backups made every day or every few days.
    When I tried to open them, I got a message saying Windows cannot open this as it does not know
    how it was created. There is a command on such a message that allows having Windows search
    for how to open the file. when I clicked on that I got a web page that said if you cannot open JSON files,
    there is something wrong in the registry, and you should get and use Reg Cure.

So my question is what are JSON files
    and how does reg cure stack up. Is this one of those cases where you are offered a free download, the program tells you that you have all kinds of errors
    nad the says buy our product to clean up the problem?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The .JSON files are backup files for the bookmarks in Firefox. You can restore one of those backups, for details see Backing up and restoring bookmarks (Mozilla knowledge base).

I have moved this thread to Thrid-party browsers.

Thanks
    JSON is a data format used by JavaScript.

Just because Windows does not know what to do with a a particular type of file does not mean you have a problem. For example, Microsoft Outlook stores data in .pst files. However, you can't open a .pst file by double-clicking it, and you really wouldn't want to...

Because JSON files consist of textual data, if you wanted you could associate them with a program that opens text files, such as Wordpad. Or you could just leave them as unrecognized, since editing them could render them unusable...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    By going to that site mentioned in the first reply , I found out how to get an older JSON file, and I have been able to restore the
    missing bookmarks. Thanks for the advice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asteven1 View Post
    By going to that site mentioned in the first reply , I found out how to get an older JSON file, and I have been able to restore the
    missing bookmarks. Thanks for the advice.
    A more generic definition - JSON - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joe
    Joe