New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lately, the last couple of months, send and recieve seems to hang up (i.e. goes on the clock and then fails). Normally I have to close OL and then S&R works ok for a couple of times and I have to again close OL before it will retrieve my email. I am using google mail if that matters but it hasn't been a problem in the past. Thanks. -Bob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Panel View Post
    Lately, the last couple of months, send and recieve seems to hang up (i.e. goes on the clock and then fails). Normally I have to close OL and then S&R works ok for a couple of times and I have to again close OL before it will retrieve my email. I am using google mail if that matters but it hasn't been a problem in the past. Thanks. -Bob
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Do you have any error details such as the error code?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!!
    Do you have any error details such as the error code?
    Joe
    Thanks. No I don't get any error codes. This is OL2003 by the way.
    I should also mention - it completes the send portion but the receive is the problem.
    And, many times I have to go into Task Manager and close the app - because even after I exit OL, it still is loaded when I check task manager.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Panel View Post
    Thanks. No I don't get any error codes. This is OL2003 by the way.
    I should also mention - it completes the send portion but the receive is the problem.
    And, many times I have to go into Task Manager and close the app - because even after I exit OL, it still is loaded when I check task manager.

I have the same problem, using Outlook 2007, no errors, I also use Outlook Connector and some of those accounts do not log in, I thought that might be the problem, but it does not appear to be so. It happens if there are messages to receive, the last one never completes. And Outlook does not properly close (again,no error messages) when shut down and the task manager is the only way I can get it to exit, then I have to restart the system.

sara

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    What is your setting under Outlook 2003 Tools | Email Accounts or Outlook 2007 Tools | Accounts | Email ...
    | View or Change | Next | select the Gmail account if you have more than one | More Settings | Advanced | Server Timout duration? Move it to at least one minute if set shorter, OK out of the dialogs. If that doesn't help, post back with the kind of Internet Access you use and its speed e.g. (A)DSL, Cable Modem, etc.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar problem as Bob Panel... On an intermittent basis, Outlook 2003, XP-SP3, I either get a "Server timeout" and failure to send, or the S&R window opens and then closes but no Send, or it will give an error when attempting to Receive and nothing is in the Outbox. This happens on both of my similarly configured computers on the same router, and going through a local, small ISP. Restarting Outlook sometimes helps, but sometimes not. Frequently it happens when I have photos attached. Some times if i delete the email at the top of the list, then the rest will go. By intermittent, I mean perhaps 10% of the time, and I can see no pattern.

Most frustrating...

Will

Thanks
    A couple of things to look at:

- For gmail accounts, accessing them as POP3/SMTP seems to work most reliably.
    Inbound: pop.gmail.com connect via ssl port 995
    outbound: smtp.gmail.com connect via ssl port 465
    - Try temporarily disabling any email scanners (spam or malware) to see if that helps.
    - Go into your email account via webmail and see if there are any large messages in the inbox which you have not received yet. If so, move them to another folder and see if you can then receive the rest.
    - Make sure Outlook is not set to automatically check for mail too frequently - some mail servers don't like multiple connections. Every 10 minutes should be the minimum.
    - Increase the server timeout delay as previously suggested.

Jock