Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm normally a Zone Alarm user but I have a machine running Vista Home Premium and Zone Alarm will not work. In ZA if you need to change a program's permission it's simple.

On the Vista machine I am using the free version of Comodo. I can't find how to change a programs permission status. How do you allow a program access to the internet once it has been blocked and the remember my answer box has been checked?

Thanks,

JB

Thanks
    Just in case you are using FF and missed seeing this, I wondered if this could help at all.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls

"After your Mozilla application is installed or updated, your security software must be configured to allow Internet access. This may happen automatically, or you may have to do it. If you deny access, you must reconfigure the security software to allow access. No Web browser or any other program can control the firewall. If it could, that would completely bypass the security of the firewall...."

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...ernet+Security

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Jude, thanks,

The second link was what I needed. Simple once you know where to look.

JB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Hey Jude, thanks,

The second link was what I needed. Simple once you know where to look.

JB
    I posted the first link as that is where the quote came from. I hoped you could use the 2nd and I'm glad it worked

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    There is complete control of Program Permissions in Comodo Firewall. The feature you need to access is part of the Defense+ part of Comodo.

From the System Tray Icon, right-click and click on Open.

Highlight the Defense+ Icon at the top of the Comodo Splash Screen.

In the left-sidebar, click on Advanced. In the main window of that screen, click on Computer Security Policy.

A pop-up window will show Application Name, Treat As, and several Radio Buttons.

The top section lists several applications to which Comodo Defense+ has already applied rule sets on its own. The next few sections contain greyed-out entries which the user cannot safely change. But the interesting section is labeled All Applications. This is a section of the rules applied based on user behavior when confronted with pop-up alert dialogs, and for many of us, the results get a bit out of whack from time to time. In this section you can make changes to get some applications' restrictions lifted, tightened, or removed altogether. Simply highlight any entry there, and use the Edit Radio Button. Or, Delete to get Comodo to stop applying any of its rules to the application. (Removing entries will cause a lot of pop-up warnings and dialogs, but sometimes it is best to start over with permissions on some applications.) More often, you can get the correct settings by looking in the pop-up Edit dialog box, and changing the Custom circle to the Predefined Policy circle. This makes Defense+ treat the application in a more standard way. Which pre-defined policy you choose depends on the Application. The Comodo Help files, as well as their on line User Forums can offer guidelines about which predefined policies do what and allow which things to happen. Careful selection can greatly reduce pop-up alerts, while maintaining the permissions needed by the application.

That's as much detail as I can go into in this limited space. Experience will guide you to better decisions when the Application Rules need to be changed. For the most part, they do not need to be changed, but it is nice to know how to do this if the need ever arises. This is not the same at all as the Zone Alarm page with the full table of Applications and Permissions which many of us are used to, but with practice, it will become just as useful, if not better, due to the predefined policies being more flexible than those found in Zone Alarm.

From the normal Tray Notification pop-up dialog balloons, you can select to Treat As and apply a policy, either per session, or (by checking Remember This Setting) permanently (or until you go inside the Defense+ settings and make a change manually). When encountering a warning, it is best at first not to check off the Remember box until you are sure this is the policy you really want to apply to this Application.
    -- Bob Primak --