New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running XP Professional (with SP3) and I regularly update and run AVG free 9.0, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, Super Anti-Spyware, Ccleaner and Easyclean - I additionally run Threatfire and Comodo, which pretty much take care of themselves. None of these applications have detected anything more than "potentially dangerous objects" (in super Anti-Spyware) .. even when run as "full" scans.

However, for the past several weeks I've been encountering all manner of intermittent minor but annoying issues .. I don't think these issues are related to malware (though I could be wrong), I fear they may be signs of system instability and I'm just looking for some more knowledgeable opinions based on some of the things I've been experiencing:

- I will often get no response when I double click on a browser icon on my desktop .. despite knowing that icons are just copies of the program executables, I've tried going into Windows Explorer and double clicking on the file, which will sometimes work, sometimes not.

- no response when I click on anything in a browser while online .. though not a firm "lock up" situation necessarily. I've discovered that during these non-responsive episodes, that opening Windows Task Manager "unlocks" the situation and I can once again click on something and it will work. However, many times I will have to leave Task Manager open and repeatedly click anywhere on its open window to "toggle" on a response mechanism in my browser so that I may continue with whatever I was doing. How weird is that?!?

- Sometimes while online the browser just becomes unresponsive (initiating the "unresponsive program" window) and nothing short of rebooting will allow me control again.

- I don't set up a screensaver on my desktop, so when a set amount of time has gone by without activity, the screen will just go black. All I have to do is touch a key to restore the desktop. But I've occasionally noticed that this doesn't happen .. the desktop just remains visible, often for hours, without any action from me (and I haven't changed any desktop display settings).

- Occasionally after the machine has completed booting up, a double click on a desktop icon will not open that application but instead a menu will appear, as if I had right-clicked on the icon instead of double clicked on it. This annoying condition will remain until I reboot.

- The Operating System (Windows XP Professional) will sometimes not complete Shut Down .. all that will be left is a pale blue screen with the cursor still visible (and movable). I've shut it down before going out for a walk with the dog only to find it in this condition upon my return 30 or 40 minutes later. My only recourse is to complete shut down manually, which I don't like to do.

- I use a Sierra Wireless modem to connect online .. many times while online everything will become unresponsive and I receive the kind of message from my browser(s) that indicates I've been disconnected. I initially thought that this had something to do with the network or the modem .. but often the network signal is still quite strong when this happens (and there are many times when the signal is a bit weak and I can still browse unimpeded). So now I'm wondering if it's more to do with the laptop rather than the modem or network signal strength.

Again, these issues are intermittent .. but they happen often enough now that ease of use is becoming the exception rather than the rule. The machine was purchased in late spring, early summer of 2004, so it doesn't really owe me anything. But I can't really afford a new system at the moment .. or probably not until after next year at this time. If my system is becoming unstable, I'm wondering if there's anything (short of regular backups, for safety's sake - it's my business machine) that I might do to keep it going for another 12 months or so.

Any ideas, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Karan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Have you examined the Processes tab in Task Manager when the slowdowns occur to see if anything is hogging your CPU?

If you are running IE as your browser have you tried running it without addons? Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Have you run a chkdsk recently?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have times when my computer will not respond. I have found (using IObit's SmartRam) that it is because I have become very low on RAM. I run WindowsXP Home Edition SP3. When I run the task manager I find that svchost.exe is running multiple times or that MSE is doing some sort of scan. I have stopped all but 3 startup items but still seem to have the same problem. I too would like to know if this is a sign of instabliity with my computer. My laptop is 4 years old and I cannot afford to replace it. If it was a PC I would just take it apart and clean it but I have been advised that laptops should not be worked on by the user unless you know what the heck you are doing. Have you had any luck fixing your system? HELP!!!!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Karan: I'm sure you've checked your mouse/trackpad. Issues #1, #2, #5 are indications that there may be something wrong with the buttons.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan Cross View Post
    I'm running XP Professional (with SP3) and I regularly update and run AVG free 9.0, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, Super Anti-Spyware, Ccleaner and Easyclean - I additionally run Threatfire and Comodo, which pretty much take care of themselves. None of these applications have detected anything more than "potentially dangerous objects" (in super Anti-Spyware) .. even when run as "full" scans.

However, for the past several weeks I've been encountering all manner of intermittent minor but annoying issues .. I don't think these issues are related to malware (though I could be wrong), I fear they may be signs of system instability and I'm just looking for some more knowledgeable opinions based on some of the things I've been experiencing:

- I will often get no response when I double click on a browser icon on my desktop .. despite knowing that icons are just copies of the program executables, I've tried going into Windows Explorer and double clicking on the file, which will sometimes work, sometimes not.

- no response when I click on anything in a browser while online .. though not a firm "lock up" situation necessarily. I've discovered that during these non-responsive episodes, that opening Windows Task Manager "unlocks" the situation and I can once again click on something and it will work. However, many times I will have to leave Task Manager open and repeatedly click anywhere on its open window to "toggle" on a response mechanism in my browser so that I may continue with whatever I was doing. How weird is that?!?

- Sometimes while online the browser just becomes unresponsive (initiating the "unresponsive program" window) and nothing short of rebooting will allow me control again.

- I don't set up a screensaver on my desktop, so when a set amount of time has gone by without activity, the screen will just go black. All I have to do is touch a key to restore the desktop. But I've occasionally noticed that this doesn't happen .. the desktop just remains visible, often for hours, without any action from me (and I haven't changed any desktop display settings).

- Occasionally after the machine has completed booting up, a double click on a desktop icon will not open that application but instead a menu will appear, as if I had right-clicked on the icon instead of double clicked on it. This annoying condition will remain until I reboot.

- The Operating System (Windows XP Professional) will sometimes not complete Shut Down .. all that will be left is a pale blue screen with the cursor still visible (and movable). I've shut it down before going out for a walk with the dog only to find it in this condition upon my return 30 or 40 minutes later. My only recourse is to complete shut down manually, which I don't like to do.

- I use a Sierra Wireless modem to connect online .. many times while online everything will become unresponsive and I receive the kind of message from my browser(s) that indicates I've been disconnected. I initially thought that this had something to do with the network or the modem .. but often the network signal is still quite strong when this happens (and there are many times when the signal is a bit weak and I can still browse unimpeded). So now I'm wondering if it's more to do with the laptop rather than the modem or network signal strength.

Again, these issues are intermittent .. but they happen often enough now that ease of use is becoming the exception rather than the rule. The machine was purchased in late spring, early summer of 2004, so it doesn't really owe me anything. But I can't really afford a new system at the moment .. or probably not until after next year at this time. If my system is becoming unstable, I'm wondering if there's anything (short of regular backups, for safety's sake - it's my business machine) that I might do to keep it going for another 12 months or so.

Any ideas, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Karan

Hi Karan, you write that you have AVG 9.0, Threatfire and Comodo. Now AVG is an Antivirus program which by the way has been heard to conflict with a number of other programs.Threatfire and Comodo,are they not An Antivirus and a security suite respectively? İf so, then How Many Antivirus programs do you have running 'in real time' on your pc? Now all of these Antivirus'es running at once,would certainly cause problems. Unless i misunderstood and that's not the case?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P J ROBERTS View Post
    I too have times when my computer will not respond. I have found (using IObit's SmartRam) that it is because I have become very low on RAM. I run WindowsXP Home Edition SP3. When I run the task manager I find that svchost.exe is running multiple times or that MSE is doing some sort of scan. I have stopped all but 3 startup items but still seem to have the same problem. I too would like to know if this is a sign of instabliity with my computer. My laptop is 4 years old and I cannot afford to replace it. If it was a PC I would just take it apart and clean it but I have been advised that laptops should not be worked on by the user unless you know what the heck you are doing. Have you had any luck fixing your system? HELP!!!!!!

Hi P J, several svchost.exe (Network Service,Local Service,System)will be found in Task Manager,nothing to worry about.İf however there is a nummber OR a letter present next to them,that could be the sign of malware.DO NOT DİSABLE OR DELETE anything,unless you know for sure what you are doing.

Do you regularly delete temp files?Defragment your hard drive? Empty your disc often?
    Let me know,and i could recommend a FREE program that would be very helpfull in showing you what is what on your pc.

İf your pc is 4 years old,when was the last time you reinstalled the OS? İf not at all during this period,then a reinstall could be beneficial.
    By the way,what is this MSE you write about,that's scanning?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Have you examined the Processes tab in Task Manager when the slowdowns occur to see if anything is hogging your CPU?

If you are running IE as your browser have you tried running it without addons? Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Have you run a chkdsk recently?

Joe
    I have checked the Processes tab .. and there are usually several things that are using a helluva lot of memory, including firefox, which at the moment is the king of memory usage at 162,960k. Several other things, like my ATT communication (or my wireless modem) also use a lot of memory. I'm not sure what some of the others are and would be uncomfortable disabling them without knowing what I'm doing. I don't use IE, as it and my AOL software both seem to let in a whole lot of stuff that Mozilla does not. I haven't done a chkdsk in a while, no .. but I dump about 100MG or more of unnecessary files daily with CCleaner and I'll defrag these days every couple of weeks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia Gulenc View Post
    Hi Karan, you write that you have AVG 9.0, Threatfire and Comodo. Now AVG is an Antivirus program which by the way has been heard to conflict with a number of other programs.Threatfire and Comodo,are they not An Antivirus and a security suite respectively? İf so, then How Many Antivirus programs do you have running 'in real time' on your pc? Now all of these Antivirus'es running at once,would certainly cause problems. Unless i misunderstood and that's not the case?
    Threatfire is indeed an antivirus, but it works differently from other antivirus programs (it's not signature-based and is more likely to catch something new than AVG) and has worked well beside AVG .. I use Comodo as a firewall, because Windows' version wasn't up to the task. The guardian software I currently use was all recommended to me by techspot.com several years ago after I was infected with some insidious piece of garbage that took me about a week to clean. I've been using all of these programs together since January of '07 without a problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P J ROBERTS View Post

Funny you should mention low RAM ... I have actually gotten messages from Windows telling me I was low on RAM. And in the time since I first posted my message of a possible unstable system, I've been running CCleaner daily (instead of bi-monthly) and updating and running Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes and EasyCleaner (I trust it for registry cleaning) daily. Those tasks, together with accessing my AOL email through Mozilla instead of AOL's software (which seems to attract spyware like bees to honey), seem to have calmed my system down considerably. In fact, since ceasing use of AOL's software, I find that my Spyware software rarely comes up with anything ... ditto with AVG. At first, when all my attempts at full scans were turning up close to nothing, I feared that something nasty had indeed gotten in and disabled my guardian software. But I finally realized that I hadn't been using AOL for a couple weeks (I know, I know .. I probably should have ditched AOL years ago; but I've had that account since '91, and I still occasionally get surprised by an email from a friend I haven't heard from for 15 or 20 years who remembered that email address). I've lately been able to bop around without incident .. well, there are a few weird things that remain, but nothing like what I was experiencing before. Windows opens and shuts down promptly, I've been able to browse online for hours without incident, and my desktop seems once again to be working the way it's supposed to. I find it hard to believe that all of that was caused simply by a lot of extraneous junk .. but there it is.

Lounger
    Thanks
    To my knowlegde,you can only have ONE Antivirus running on your pc at any time.More than one will cause conflicts ie instability. Also as i have already stated AVG 9.0 is conflicting with a number of other programs(including bowsers) that would explain the system instability you are experiencing.

Also if you haven't had a reinstall of the OS since you bought the pc in 2004, it may be due for one.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan Cross View Post
    Threatfire is indeed an antivirus, but it works differently from other antivirus programs (it's not signature-based and is more likely to catch something new than AVG) and has worked well beside AVG .
    If Threatfire does real time scanning you should not run it at the same time as AVG. You should never have more than one real-time scanning antivirus program running. At some time they will conflict.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If Threatfire does real time scanning you should not run it at the same time as AVG. You should never have more than one real-time scanning antivirus program running. At some time they will conflict.

Joe
    ThreatFire is meant to work together with traditional Anti-Virus programs .. AVG is scheduled to run at 2 AM. Check it out and let me know what you think. I hate to uninstall AVG as it has actually caught some older Trojans that ThreatFire apparently didn't, and yet Threatfire has stopped some other things from even getting in in the first place. www.threatfire.com

Thanks
    ThreatFire is classed as a HIPS programs so it should play fine with AVG (assuming it's just the A/V), also Comodo (providing it's only the firewall element, it could be installed with A/V and HIPS components - check it) should also play fine in this scenario.

AVG has a component which checks the websites you view against known bad sites, do you have this enabled or installed? It has been known to cause strange issues in the past.

I think we need to have fuller details, including version numbers for these security apps.