2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey guys,

I've been trying to force myself to use Access 2007, since it's the latest version. I have a new project, and purchased a 2007 license. However, I've been 'forcing' this for a month now. It is taking me much longer to create and edit, and I'm not sure this version will do all the things the previous versions do.

I've been telling myself I just need to get used to the new version, but... I'm beginning to think this is not the case. I'm considering going backwards.

I'm looking for some opinions on this, as I've not used Access to actually build a project in quiet sometime. Should I return to a previous version? What are some of the benefits of using Access 2007 over Access 2003?

Thanks in advance guys!
    KST

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry about not responding sooner - we've been travelling over the holidays. So you aren't exactly thrilled with 2007? You have lots of company.

I guess the pros and cons depend on your level of expertise, and your familarity with the older 2003 version. The more you know about 2003, the more difficult the transition to 2007 seems to be. The real thrust behind 2007 was to make it easier for the "power user" crowd to build useful databases. And in that sense it probably succeeds. However the introduction of the Navigation Pane as a replacement for the Database Container Window, the change from menus to the ribbon, and the removal of the multi-document interface all made it more difficult for the experienced developer to do the things they need to do.

I work back and forth between versions, as half of my clients are on 2002/3 and half are on 2007. One thing that may sway your thinking, is that in general we recommend developing in the older version if you can, and then deploying with 2007 if that is what the client is using. A webpage that you may find useful is Allen Browne's Converting to Access 2007. If you have specific frustrations or how do I do this questions, post back and we will try to make suggestions.
    Wendell