Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm embarrassed that I can't remember the answer since I've never asked for emails about posts.

When you EDIT a post that is a direct reply to a post, that is it comtains the poster's quote, does the person get an email on an edited post?

How about when you use the general "Add Your Reply" box - does anyone in the thread get an email for that post?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I'm embarrassed that I can't remember the answer since I've never asked for emails about posts.

When you EDIT a post that is a direct reply to a post, that is it comtains the poster's quote, does the person get an email on an edited post?

How about when you use the general "Add Your Reply" box - does anyone in the thread get an email for that post?
    I would guess it depends how long after the post is made that the email is sent. There is something about a ten minute delay, which means they could get the edited version if it is edited before the email is sent.
    (As Leif - now locked out as the password system seems to have taken a holiday - I haven't had an en email notification for a week or so, so it is probably academic)

Why don't you try it and see? - it's usually the fastest way to find things out!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpole View Post
    I would guess it depends how long after the post is made that the email is sent. There is something about a ten minute delay, which means they could get the edited version if it is edited before the email is sent.
    (As Leif - now locked out as the password system seems to have taken a holiday - I haven't had an en email notification for a week or so, so it is probably academic)

Why don't you try it and see? - it's usually the fastest way to find things out!
    OK, but the only way to try it, since I refuse to turn emails on, is to have a willing co-conspirator like you to test it on. However, if you're "partially" locked out and not getting emails anyway ... See if you get an email for this post... I'll wait awhile to edit...

Edited to add: Original post at 08:44 EST USA. Comment to ensure world peace!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNath View Post
    I get emails Al, if you want to try now....
    Thanks Nathan. See if you get this email. Then, under Leif's supposition, I'll wait 15-30 minutes and then edit this post to see if you get an email then.

I'm also gonna make an additional post in this thread using the generic reply button to see if you, or anyone else gets an email when I do that.

The only reason I care about the topic is for those Loungers who RELY on their email notices to be aware of Lounge activity. So, if I post a response to someone's question and then later (?) edit my post, does he get an email for only the original post and not be aware that I've edited my post?

PS For that reason, I occasionally make an additional new post in reply to an OP to make sure he gets another email.

Edited to add: Yoo-Hoo, Nathan... See if you get an email for this edit.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Just foolin' around now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ... See if you get an email for this post...
    Unlikely, as I had notifications turned off.

In the interests of greater world peace and harmony, I've now turned them on.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Got them both straight away Al.

[attachment=87419:Al.GIF]

To answer your question on editing, I forecast that I will *not* receive a notification. I'm certain that this was discussed previously, and I mentioned that this could be an issue for those that rely on the email's.

The only reason that I use email notifications is that I am sometimes involved in large vba projects where I am relying on responses from the lounge to dig me out of big holes. Otherwise, I tend to ignore them.

There have been occasions where a response to one of my questions has been edited, and I have not realised, so this can be a pain if one is not active in the lounge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Edited to add: Yoo-Hoo, Nathan... See if you get an email for this edit.
    Nope.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, but the only way to try it, since I refuse to turn emails on, is to have a willing co-conspirator like you to test it on. However, if you're "partially" locked out and not getting emails anyway ... See if you get an email for this post... I'll wait awhile to edit...

Edited to add: Original post at 08:44 EST USA. Comment to ensure world peace!
    Need a guinea pig who is not locked out?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Archell View Post
    Need a guinea pig who is not locked out?
    Thanks Bob, but I think with Nathan's help I've got confirmation. Emails do NOT get sent on post edits, but they DO get sent to thread subscribers on what I call generic posts, that is "Add Your Reply."

One needs to be careful with editing posts if you think the intended party RELIES on emails for notification. I try to make it a practice not to edit if I have new information, but I sometimes forget.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bob, but I think with Nathan's help I've got confirmation. Emails do NOT get sent on post edits, but they DO get sent to thread subscribers on what I call generic posts, that is "Add Your Reply."
    I sent my note before seeing Nathan's message.
    In the "old" Lounge, edited posts did not get sent out to the recipient of the original message. It appears in the "new" Lounge, the situation is the same.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpole View Post
    Well, I seem to have got back in - perhaps the message to the Admins worked? - I've heard nothing back.

Rumpole is now locked out. Having tried to change the email address, I'm still awaiting the validating whatever, so he's now stuck in limbo land.

I'll go see if I can change my user pic now - email notifications are still definitely not getting through to me....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I'll go see if I can change my user pic now....
    Nope - still doesn't work.