New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Win 7 & I've partitioned my hard disk into C: & D:

I can assign any available drive letter to the D: partition.

But if it's B: or D: then the drive is not "seen" in Explorer.

Then, if I assign A: or F: or H: it appears in Explorer along with my C: partition and my E: DVD drive.

Then, if I assign B: or D: it disappears from in Explorer (but Disk Manager still shows it labeled as B: or D:).

Then if I assign F: or H: or any available drive letter it pops back up in Explorer.

There are no USB drives attached and I've deleted and re-created the partition.

I'm logged in as Adminstrator while testing this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the Group Policy Editor to see if the drives are hidden.

Click on start and in the search box type in gpedit.msc and press Enter to open the Group Policy Editor (GPE)
    In theGPE in the left hand pane select User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer.
    In the right-hand pane you'll find Hide these specified drives in My Computer
    Double click on that entry to bring up a dialog that will show if the drives are hidden, if they are you can change their settings.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also remember that on some machines within the BIOS, A and B may be reserved for floppy drives and are not to be used unless a floppy drive is installed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys -- I'll check these out -- mobo is old so BIOS may be the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Stephen:

Dave A has probably hit this one on the head. Drives Aa: and B: are very likely reserved for "Floppy Drives" and you should not attempt to assign these to your partitions. It is normal that if you have say three partitions on your drive, that the "Active" partition is labelled as the "C:" drive and the other partitions will normally be automatically assigned the next alphabetical letter (ie "D:" and "E:" etc) .
    I'm sure if you relabel your partitions as such, you'll find they will show up properly.
    Gus P

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys -- I tried the suggestions above and it looks like my mobo's BIOS may be the problem -- it's an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and the BIOS hasn't had an update for several years.

I'm going to just use it as is and assign the drive to F:

Thanks, again.

Thanks
    The Group Policy Editor is not available on Home Basic or Premium. I believe it is only available on Pro and Ultimate editions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You should not need to do any assigning, as on reboot, the new partition should have been assigned by the BIOS the D drive and the your DVD/DC would have been E.

What is shown in the Disk Manager?

Thanks
    You should not need to do any assigning, as on reboot, the new partition should have been assigned by the BIOS the D drive and the your DVD/DC would have been E.
    That's roughly my experience too, DaveA except that the assignments are done by Windows not the BIOS.

Since Vista (at least), it should be possible to assign A and B to hdd volumes, provided there are no floppy drives attached to the system (I'd disable the floppy controller in the BIOS and in Device Manager if it shows there, just to give it the best chance).

You can't change a drive letter if the drive is either a system partition or a boot partition.

On a single drive/volume installation from CD/DVD, Windows will assign the boot drive (Windows drive) as C:and the CD/DVD as D:, perhaps you could try to disable or remove the CD/DVD drive before attempting to assign D: to another drive/volume?

Are all the drives using the same connection - all PATA or all SATA? Any PCI PATA/SATA controllers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, you are correct it is Windows that does the asigning, but, the BIOS has control as to if a floppy drive is present. Even with them )a and B) disabled, the the letters may not be available for use.

I think even in Vista and Windows 7 the A and B drives are reserved for removable drives. I have YET to see any machine with a hard drive assigned to either A or B.