Thread: Crash (XP)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Crash (XP)

I have managed to do something that causes OL to crash, with great regularity, every time I open it. There is a message sitting in the Outbox, unsent, that I suspect may be contributing to the problem because I can cause an immediate crash by clicking on the Outbox. Any suggestions?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crash (XP)

Hi Spence.

I assume you're using Outlook at home.

Without opening Outlook, go into your control panel and double-click mail. Your list of internet email accounts should appear. Click on the one you sent the item from, then choose Properties. Uncheck the box that says "include this account when send/receiving". Then open Outlook, you should be able to delete the message. Then, go to Tools-Accounts and turn that setting back on. Not POSITIVE 'cause I have Outlook 2000, but if it's not exact, it ought to be very similar.

Thanks

I had a similar problem way back in OL97. The fix was to temporarily disconnect from your old .PST, create a new one, then copy all the messages over. Hopefully MS has improved on this fix in the interim!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I ended up calling MS support, who had me start Outlook in safe mode (run outlook.exe /safe). I was then able to delete the offending message in my Outbox and restart with no problems. Thanks again.