Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    EDITED for the following reason: Based on the "outcome" of this thread which was unknown to me when I started it, I have changed the SUBJECT of the thread to show its ultimate purpose, and that is to bid a fond farewell to our Lounge-mate and wish him well. Good On Ya, Hans and Vaya Con Dios!

I've been trying to send a PM to Hans for a half hour now and keep getting a message that I can't do that. What the @#$%^& is Hans' Lounge name these days? I would've sworn he changed it to Slinky but I've also tried HansV and the system prompts me for HansVI which also yields an error message. What's goin' on, please?

I got my message to him by adding it to an existing "conversation" which HAS his userid as Slinky.

[attachment=87425:2009-12-29_193914.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you look at the display name history for Slinky then you will see that this user changed their username from HansV to Slinky on 29th December at 09:02
    It appears that user Slinky has disabled Private Messages in their profile.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
    Pericles
    Jerry

Thanks
    HansV aka Slinky messaged me today and told me he was leaving and wouldn't be around for the new year 2010 and thanked me for all the comments and messages we had exchanged during my brief couple of weeks here. He told me he was disabling his private messages and comments section so I responded that he would be sorely missed. I came back later and discovered he left a message of Farewell on his HansV page. Now I can't find that and I had been able to access his Slinky page and that too doesn't show up. I hope he is ok.

Hey Jude

Let It Be
    The Beatles

"When I find myself in times of trouble
    Mother Mary comes to me
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

And in my hour of darkness
    She is standing right in front of me

Let it be, let it be,
    Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people
    Living in the world agree,
    There will be an answer, let it be.

For though they may be parted there is
    Still a chance that they will see

Let it be, let it be. Yeah

And when the night is cloudy,
    There is still a light that shines on me,
    Shine until tomorrow, let it be.

I wake up to the sound of music,
    Mother Mary comes to me,

Let it be, let it be.
    Let it be, let it be,
    Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.
    Let it be, let it be.
    There will be an answer, let it be."
    Take a sad song and make it better

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    If you look at the display name history for Slinky then you will see that this user changed their username from HansV to Slinky on 29th December at 09:02
    It appears that user Slinky has disabled Private Messages in their profile.
    Well, I don't know what's goin' on but I hope it ain't bad!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    To end this confusion: Slinky (the Lounger formerly known as HansV) has retired from the Lounge.

I may have a look around from time to time, but I will no longer participate actively, and I will not log in frequently.
    I've disabled personal messages (which also means that I can't read any) and comments in my profile.

I'm fine, but the time had come to give the 30,000+ new Loungers a chance to catch up

Thanks to all of you, and all the best!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky View Post
    Slinky (the Lounger formerly known as HansV) has retired from the Lounge.
    This news is probably the greatest tragedy in the history of civilisation as we know it.
    (And that's only a slight exaggeration...)
    There is no other person who could be relied on to give an entirely accurate answer to almost any computer question in The Lounge over the last eight (or so) years, and your leaving will cause a monumental gap in the knowledge of The Lounge.
    Thanks ever so much for your expertise, kindness, and tolerance over all those years, and the very best of luck in whatever area you may move on to...
    You will be greatly missed.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I had kind of guessed from Hans status yesterday morning that he had decided to leave, hence my post And a Very Happy 2010 to you also......... in Scut. I had also tried to PM Hans yesterday morning, to wish him well for the future, without success.

[attachment=87428:Slinky.GIF]

I won't post here the contents of my PM, as I *think* I have another way of getting the message to him ***. However, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Hans for all of the help, support, kindness and humour that he has offered to me over the last few years. This place will not be the same without him!

It is the people that make this great community, and there are so many great people here to mention individually. Hans however was one of the best, this will be a darker place without his huge contribution. I wish you well, kind Sir! Until our path's cross again.......

*** Also unsuccessful - That's a shame, I would have liked to have sent my personal message.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To end this confusion: Slinky (the Lounger formerly known as HansV) has retired from the Lounge.
    It took me almost half an hour to overcome from setback. Hans is the greatest mentor I have ever seen. Being a lounger, the kind of association with him, can not be described. As VegasNath said,"This place will not be the same without him!"

Wishing you a very happy & prosperous year & joyful life ahead.

We will miss you.
    Regards
    Prasad

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a heck of a sad note, Hans! For all the years that I've "known" you, you've been a friend, a gentleman, and a knowledgeable Lounger. Peace and goodwill to you for the future, and please do check in when you've a minute or two. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'll miss you AND your contributions here!

Code:
    Fourteen Years Of Lounging:       Outstanding!

Fifty Thousand Members:           Amazing!

One Six-Fingered Hans:            Priceless !!!

PS And to think that I started this thread, in this forum, because I thought there was something else wrong with IPB...

Thanks

I may have a look around from time to time, but I will no longer participate actively, and I will not log in frequently.
    I've disabled personal messages (which also means that I can't read any) and comments in my profile.

I'm fine, but the time had come to give the 30,000+ new Loungers a chance to catch up

Well, that news is a real loss to ALL of the Loungers and the Lounge itself. I did notice the apparent scarcity of your presence but thought it was just a time out for the hardest workers here.
    For whatever your reasons, Hans, I know that only you can make the determination. I do hope it is a good one for you. The very BEST of luck to you and I hope that you can someday make a return to all of your GOOD FRIENDS here. That would indeed be great news.
    BEST Regards,
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Tot ziens Hans. You probably need a break.

You are resourceful enough to find many other interesting things to occupy your energies.

Many, many thanks.
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I, too, will greatly miss Hans' great advice, patience, humor, gentlemanly way of instructing. Hans, you broadened my computing world immensely and I thank you very, very much.

Curious

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    This news is probably the greatest tragedy in the history of civilisation as we know it.
    (And that's only a slight exaggeration...)
    There is no other person who could be relied on to give an entirely accurate answer to almost any computer question in The Lounge over the last eight (or so) years, and your leaving will cause a monumental gap in the knowledge of The Lounge.
    Thanks ever so much for your expertise, kindness, and tolerance over all those years, and the very best of luck in whatever area you may move on to...
    You will be greatly missed.
    I can't express my sentiments any more eloquently than BATcher's words above. Hans, whatever your reasons for leaving, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

We often say that "nobody is irreplaceable", but that doesn't apply in this instance. Almost 86,000 posts over these past years ! ! ! That's an achievment that probably no one else will duplicate.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

There are several sentiments already expressed about you stepping down and away from active participation here in the Lounge. So I will simply add this: Thank you very much for EVERYTHING you've done for all of us, I'm gonna miss you lots and lots!
    .......now where's my box of Kleenex tissues.....

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast