Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Windows 7 (student upgrade version) for my son - ran setup from the Windows XP desktop and did a custom install. Randomly the computer goes to a blue screen - the error message is: C0000135 %hs is missing. I am also experiencing some freezes. We ran HD Tune to check for hard drive problems and results were NO problems and NO over heating. Next I ran a Memtest on the memory - again NO problems. All fans are working, drivers up-to-date and bios is up-to-date. The computer, a Dell XPS Gen. 5 did pass everything when the upgrade advisor was run. The specs on this computer are way above what is recommended for Windows 7. Also, this computer never had any problems before this.

I completely started over this morning by installing XP again and starting the Windows 7 disk again - only to later find that the problem still exists!

I also ran from a command prompt sfc/scannow and again NO problems were found.

I would be grateful for any solutions or suggestions. I am wondering if my ISO download is bad. I did order a disk from Microsoft as backup and their disk locked up. I found scratches and marks all over the disk (I had never had it out until I went to install it yesterday) Called Microsoft, they are sending me a new disk. Would it make a difference to install Vista and then install Windows 7 as a custom install?
    Bonnie

Administrator
    Thanks
    There were some issues with the early downloads of the ISO files but I'm pretty sure those have been resolved. It is possible you've gotten a corrupted file. Do you have access to a retail Windows 7 DVD? The product key is thing that is important. So as long as you have the one for your sons PC you should be able to use any retail Windows 7 media to perform the installation.

Also, Welcome to the Lounge!!

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I do have Windows 7 Ultimate DVD, it is installed on my computer. I know that all versions are on this disk and wondered about using this only selecting Home Premium instead of Ultimate. Will the student upgrade key work doing this?

I am trying to be legitimate, but really feel like something is wrong with the installation.
    Bonnie

Thanks
    The key is tied to the version you purchased if you purchased pro yuou cant use it for ultimate or home pro>>>pro

Hope this helps

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand that I cannot use a key for Home Premium on an Ultimate - in no way am I trying to do that. I read some time ago that all versions exist on the Windows 7 DVD and that it is possible to view and select which installation you want (provided you have the key for that installation!) Unfortunately I do not have another DVD for Home Premium.

The student deal for $29 is turning into a nightmare. I tried to contact Digital River, my 30 days for support has expired. It took me to a page to contact Microsoft, it says "have a credit card ready" - to call them was $59! By the time I am done with this installation I will have paid full price for a discounted item.
    Bonnie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Higgins View Post
    I understand that I cannot use a key for Home Premium on an Ultimate - in no way am I trying to do that. I read some time ago that all versions exist on the Windows 7 DVD and that it is possible to view and select which installation you want (provided you have the key for that installation!) Unfortunately I do not have another DVD for Home Premium.

The student deal for $29 is turning into a nightmare. I tried to contact Digital River, my 30 days for support has expired. It took me to a page to contact Microsoft, it says "have a credit card ready" - to call them was $59! By the time I am done with this installation I will have paid full price for a discounted item.
    From what I've read, if you have a retail DVD then the Home Premium, Professional, & Ultimate versions are on the DVD and the install version is determined by the key you enter. So, if you use the key from the student deal you should be fine.

Joe

Thanks
    I completely started over this morning by installing XP again and starting the Windows 7 disk again - only to later find that the problem still exists!
    There is no need to install XP before you install Windows 7. Why did you do that?

Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and do a clean (custom) install.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    From what I've read, if you have a retail DVD then the Home Premium, Professional, & Ultimate versions are on the DVD and the install version is determined by the key you enter. So, if you use the key from the student deal you should be fine.

Joe
    Joe,

Thank you! Yes, I do have a Retail DVD. I spent 3 hours last night on the phone with Microsoft. I was passed on to 3 techs, the first 2 couldn't figure it out, the 3rd thought it is be a problem with pagefile, I had already changed the pagefile, he had me change it again, but the problem still exists! He would not say I had a bad ISO download, just mumbled that it must be something didn't load right from XP to 7.
    Bonnie

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    There is no need to install XP before you install Windows 7. Why did you do that?

Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and do a clean (custom) install.
    Yes, we did that on our first install - booted to the disk and did a clean custom install. I really think the ISO file downloaded from Digital River is bad. Unfortunately, I did not realize I had 30 days to re-download the ISO if I had problems (my 30 days has expired).
    Bonnie

Thanks
    You might try re-burning the DVD using the slowest burn speed for your CD/DVD burner. I had a couple of bad burns until I slowed it down to a crawl.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fortunately I kept the downloaded file on my computer. I just burned a new disk, also cleaned the drive and going to give it another shot.

Thanks for the tip - if it works I will let you know.
    Bonnie

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is my understanding that there is no Microsoft supported XP to Win 7 Upgrade. Start with a clean disk, as stated above, and install the OEM Win 7 from there. I've done several already with no issues, but I have never tried with a 'Student' edition, Only Ultimate and Pro. Good luck. If it doesn't work, download and install Ubuntu - it's free, and includes an 'Office' as well as numerous other programs that work quite well. Happy New Year.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for your help!!!!!

I finally did get it fixed! I made another disk using my downloaded ISO file, set the burner on the lowest speed, and the install went smooth. I have made numerous ISO disks in the past, never had a problem before. I sure wish I would have tried this days ago. The other thing I did, was to install Vista instead of XP before I put the Windows 7 disk in. So was it a bad ISO disk? Or the fact that I decided to put Vista on first? (note: I did do a Custom install instead of Upgrade after Vista)

Originally I heard NO upgrade from Windows XP, but that changed. You are not really "upgrading", you start the install from the desktop, after it reboots you select the Custom install. Also, a Windows 7 upgrade has to have an operating system in place, either XP or Vista or it won't work.

We have Ubuntu on one computer here, in fact I keep an Ubuntu disk on my desk and boot to it when I do things like check my bank account. But, my son would not like using Ubuntu.

Many thanks again to everyone! Your help has been very much appreciated!
    Bonnie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Originally I heard NO upgrade from Windows XP, but that changed. You are not really "upgrading", you start the install from the desktop, after it reboots you select the Custom install. Also, a Windows 7 upgrade has to have an operating system in place, either XP or Vista or it won't work.
    Glad you go it all working. Just to clear up one point. There are methods you can use to install Windows 7 from upgrade media regardless of having XP or Vista on the HD. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media for details.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for clearing up that point with me. The first method we tried was booting to the DVD and we did the "double" install, but it did not pass activation. This is when we figured we should do it as Microsoft suggested, from the desktop, then selecting custom (or clean install). I am going to print Paul Thurrott's article for future reference, it is very helpful with the upgrade editions. At first I thought my ISO file was bad, now I think it was a bad DVD disk. At least it works now - still no problems.

Thank you.
    Bonnie