New Lounger
    Thanks
    All of a sudden (I didn't used to have this problem) I can't update iTunes. The update routine stops in the middle & can't complete. So I tried to uninstall iTunes so I could re-install it & start again from scratch. But I can't uninstall it either. I get an error message saying I don't have permission to access a certain registry key. However, every time I log on, it's as an administrator. Why have I suddenly lost permission to modify these registry keys?

PC running Vista Home Basic

Pat

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Patrick

It may sound silly but try to re-install and then uninstall when given the option.
    As you know you can get the current installer here
    Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Williams View Post
    All of a sudden (I didn't used to have this problem) I can't update iTunes. The update routine stops in the middle & can't complete. So I tried to uninstall iTunes so I could re-install it & start again from scratch. But I can't uninstall it either. I get an error message saying I don't have permission to access a certain registry key. However, every time I log on, it's as an administrator. Why have I suddenly lost permission to modify these registry keys?

PC running Vista Home Basic

Pat
    Patrick,
    Hello, over time i have also had problems with "permissions and ownership". one of the two ways that i have solved this is using a program called "WinBubble"http://www.unlockforus.blogspot.com/ (a free program) in the general tab select then add "take ownership of this folder" this adds this function to the right click context menu.(there are many more that you can choose from) Second (my favorite) is right click on the registry key select permissions.. then advanced .. then click the "owner tab" select Administrators ... click apply... then OK. ( most times the owner is set to "trusted installer or SYSTEM) In the next screen click on administrator then select the check box to give yourself full control .... Then apply... then click OK. You now can do whatever you want with the key .Keep in mind that if the "parent" key has "children" you must take ownership of them all if you want to delete them. Happy Hacking ( my favorite PC pass time ) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)