Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

I am using Outlook 2007 working under 64-bit Vista Home Premium, SP2 and I have a problem that I cannot figure out. Best way I can describe it is that in navigating through Outlook, such as scanning messages in "Unread Mail," after scanning the subject lines of just a few of them, it temporarily "freezes" for perhaps ten seconds or so. It almost appears I am at the limits of my available memory, but this is a new (Feb this year) high-speed high-capacity computer with 6 GB of RAM, a 2.5 mhz processor, and all of the hard drive I will ever need, so running out of memory should NOT be a factor if, in fact, that is the problem.

I've cleaned out the cache, rebooted multiple times, defragged, and everything else you are supposed to do in such cases, but nothing seems to resolve this annoying issue. It is not a major issue, but as much as I use Outlook it is getting very annoying having to stop so many times (typically 10 to 15 seconds) so that it will UNfreeze itself so I can go on. . .only for it to do it again very soon afterwards. It only started doing this a month or so ago, and I've only noticed the problem with Outlook and nothing else.

If anyone out there has any ideas to resolve this issue, I would really appreciate hearing from you. If you do have a solution, please give me step-by-step directions in BABY STEPS so this intermediate user can follow them. I thank you in advance.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How large is your PST file?

When was the last time you clean out all of the unneeded messages?

Also have you compacted the pst file lately?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. PST file is 625 MB, and my wife's is more than double that much and she has no problems at all.

2. Messages are automatically cleaned out DAILY by age out of most folders. Those not automatically deleted are saved in a folder outside of Outlook in my Documents folder.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by "compacted," but I run the "Inbox Repair Tool" provided by Windows on a regular basis, typically 2 or 3 times a month.

This problem only began a month or so ago, and prior to that everything worked fine even when the pst file was larger than it is now. My wife's pst file in another computer that is virtually identical to mine is 1.3 GB in size, NEVER gets cleaned out, and works fine.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why Compact Outlook Data Files?

Pasted from <http://www.living-with-outlook.com/compact-outlook.html>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Why Compact Outlook Data Files?

Pasted from <http://www.living-with-outlook.com/compact-outlook.html>

DaveA: I did as you suggested, but IF there was any improvement at all it was very minimal at best. Scanning down the subject lines in my "Inbox" or "Unread Messages" (with reading pane enabled, if it matters with anything) I still can only get to perhaps 5 or 6 messages before it temporarily (for 10 to 20 seconds) freezes and I have to wait for it to clear itself so I can go on to another 5 or 6 messages and wait again. Sometimes (though rarely) the monitor will go a rather opaque white as well, then go away in the same period of time. Not a major problem so far as problems go, not so long as it does keep clearing up in a few seconds, but it is really getting annoying when I use Outlook as much as I do, and it should not be doing this. :-(

This only started a month or two ago, and almost seems as if I'm using up a lot of memory, but I just do not see how THAT could be the problem with a new (this year) desktop with high speed processors, 6 GB of RAM, and 750 GB hard drive. It almost seems to me that I have somehow got something set wrong somewhere, particularly since it did seem to begin at a specific point in time, but if such is the case then I do not know for the life of me what it could be.

Thanks for telling me about compacting. I will now do it periodically just for a little "preventive maintenance" along with the "Inbox Repair Tool" someone else told me about, but it did not resolve the problem.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How are you scrolling down, using the slider bar or just clicking the down arrow?
    If clicking the down arrow, the the selected message may have data that needs to be downloaded and this holding things up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How are you scrolling down, using the slider bar or just clicking the down arrow?
    If clicking the down arrow, the the selected message may have data that needs to be downloaded and this holding things up.

Most commonly, by highlighting the top subject line in the Unread Messages folder and reading the message in the reading pane below. Then down to the next one using the down arrow on the keyboard, but sometimes by clicking them one at a time using the mouse. Either way, it takes a half dozen or so before it freezes up for ten seconds or so.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are any of these that hang are long winded, as they will need to load also?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are any of these that hang are long winded, as they will need to load also?

Occasionally, but not not often. As I said in the beginning, it acts almost as if I'm short of memory, but given the hi-capacity and high-speed computer I am using it should not be acting this way. . . .and wasn't until a month or so ago.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What AV program and other Protection programs are you running?
    A update to one of these may have started things running slower.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What AV program and other Protection programs are you running?
    A update to one of these may have started things running slower.

I use McAffee Total Protection.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    I use McAffee Total Protection.
    David,
    It's possible that your original profile has somehow become corrupt. Here are instructions for creating a new profile.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    David,
    It's possible that your original profile has somehow become corrupt. Here are instructions for creating a new profile.

John,

Your directions cannot be followed. I am using 64-bit Vista, but once I get to Control Panel, the next step (and how many others?) does not exist, and frankly if such is the case then I'm hesitant about the credibility of the other directions that I've not gotten to as well. Thank you for trying, but I'm going to wait and see if someone else can help me with something other than the guesses and directions that cannot be followed.

Thank you for trying. I do appreciate it. Happy New Year.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    John,

Your directions cannot be followed. I am using 64-bit Vista, but once I get to Control Panel, the next step (and how many others?) does not exist, and frankly if such is the case then I'm hesitant about the credibility of the other directions that I've not gotten to as well. Thank you for trying, but I'm going to wait and see if someone else can help me with something other than the guesses and directions that cannot be followed.
    Well David, "guesses" are all that anyone can provide at this point. Most Outlook problems are caused by:
    1) A PST file with errors within the file
    2) An extremely large PST file (although this is not so much of a problem with recent versions of Outlook and the new file structure for the PST file)
    3) The installation of Office itself.
    4) Add-ins (accessed viaTools>Trust Center>Add-ins).
    5) A corrupt profile

1) As you have run the scanpst utility on a regular basis, that would not seem to be your problem.
    2) Your PST file is very small
    3) You can "repair" your installation (if there are problems) via Help>Office Diagnostics
    4) Add-ins - You can enable or disable various add-ins for testing purposes
    5) Create a new profile. As for "directions that cannot be followed", the instructions for creating a new Outlook profile from within Vista 64 ARE correct in the article I mentioned previously.

To quote from Sue Mosher (a Microsoft MVP who supports Outlook):

"Hardcore Outlook users, developers, and support staff know that you sometimes need to test a configuration with a different mail profile. Thatís easier said than done if you have Outlook 2007 running on Windows Vista 64-bit version, because Control Panel shows only 64-bit applets.

To get to the Mail applet so that you can create a new mail profile or ask Outlook to prompt you for a profile, open Control Panel and choose Additional Options, then View x86 Control Panel Icons . Alternatively, switch to the Classic view of the Control Panel and run the View x86 Control Panel Icons applet." - (see this page and scroll down to the July 17 entry near the bottom of the page). While I do not have access to a Vista 64 machine, Sue's instructions seem amazingly identical to those in the other article.

I'll leave it at that, and hopefully someone else can come up with a solution to your problem without "guessing" or without providing "directions that cannot be followed."
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Well David, "guesses" are all that anyone can provide at this point. Most Outlook problems are caused by:
    1) A PST file with errors within the file
    2) An extremely large PST file (although this is not so much of a problem with recent versions of Outlook and the new file structure for the PST file)
    3) The installation of Office itself.
    4) Add-ins (accessed viaTools>Trust Center>Add-ins).
    5) A corrupt profile

1) As you have run the scanpst utility on a regular basis, that would not seem to be your problem.
    2) Your PST file is very small
    3) You can "repair" your installation (if there are problems) via Help>Office Diagnostics
    4) Add-ins - You can enable or disable various add-ins for testing purposes
    5) Create a new profile. As for "directions that cannot be followed", the instructions for creating a new Outlook profile from within Vista 64 ARE correct in the article I mentioned previously.

To quote from Sue Mosher (a Microsoft MVP who supports Outlook):

"Hardcore Outlook users, developers, and support staff know that you sometimes need to test a configuration with a different mail profile. That's easier said than done if you have Outlook 2007 running on Windows Vista 64-bit version, because Control Panel shows only 64-bit applets.

To get to the Mail applet so that you can create a new mail profile or ask Outlook to prompt you for a profile, open Control Panel and choose Additional Options, then View x86 Control Panel Icons . Alternatively, switch to the Classic view of the Control Panel and run the View x86 Control Panel Icons applet." - (see this page and scroll down to the July 17 entry near the bottom of the page). While I do not have access to a Vista 64 machine, Sue's instructions seem amazingly identical to those in the other article.

I'll leave it at that, and hopefully someone else can come up with a solution to your problem without "guessing" or without providing "directions that cannot be followed."

John,

You can insist all you wish that your directions are correct, but when I open up my Control Panel and cannot follow directions beyond that because there IS NO "ADDITIONAL OPTIONS" to select, then your directions cannot be followed no matter what you say. I think it is obvious that I am far from expert at this, and when I run into such problems first thing, I cannot help wondering if I will then get into it and run into something similar that leaves me stuck and unable to go back to the beginning OR finish, because I've done it before in similar situations and on one of them I had to hire someone to repair the damage I did. It does not take me very many times of doing that to make me a little "gun shy."

I will go back and try to decipher your directions with this new information, because I have no other alternative. The simple fact of the matter is that doing nothing will leave me with a rather annoying but not overly serious problem. In the meantime, hopefully someone else can come up with something. Thank you for your help.

I wish I could tell you why I feel this way, because I cannot, but I have a gnawing feeling within me the ultimate cause of the problem is outside of Outlook, like perhaps a setting or some such in either Vista or IE8 governing the use of available memory. Just a feeling, nothing else, but I am definitely NOT the expert here.

David E. Cann

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast