Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The free popular antimalware program has been updated. See Malwarebytes.org for the download link and changes.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks, just updated

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Thanks, just updated
    Me too thank you very much

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    One thing that disappointed me with Malewarebytes was that after installing and getting working properly, I received an update that updated the program as well as the definitions, and turned Malewarebytes on in the background. Since I have chosen to run a different anti-malware program, I wanted to turn Malewarebytes off from running. I could not find where it set itself to start when windows starts. It was not in the usual place in the registry and was not in the start up folder. I resorted to msconfig and start up to shut it off. There should be an easier way to stop a program from running in the back ground. Not everyone wishes to run every program in the background. This would use up all available CPU cycles and RAM quickly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    One thing that disappointed me with Malewarebytes was that after installing and getting working properly, I received an update that updated the program as well as the definitions, and turned Malewarebytes on in the background.
    The Free version or the Full (purchased) version?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    One thing that disappointed me with Malewarebytes was that after installing and getting working properly, I received an update that updated the program as well as the definitions, and turned Malewarebytes on in the background. Since I have chosen to run a different anti-malware program, I wanted to turn Malewarebytes off from running. I could not find where it set itself to start when windows starts. It was not in the usual place in the registry and was not in the start up folder. I resorted to msconfig and start up to shut it off. There should be an easier way to stop a program from running in the back ground. Not everyone wishes to run every program in the background. This would use up all available CPU cycles and RAM quickly.
    There is an easier way. I use WinPatrol 2010 by BillP Studios and have Malwarebytes disabled so I can run it manually whenever I choose. Check it out. It inspects start-up processes, browser toolbars/cookies, background programs. You can set it to check for new or altered programs and files periodically. It is free but there is also an option upgrade to the PLUS. I've used the free version for 3 years now and haven't been disappointed one bit.
    Hey Jude

Thanks
    There should be an easier way to stop a program from running in the back ground. Not everyone wishes to run every program in the background. This would use up all available CPU cycles and RAM quickly.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx AUTORUNS
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    The free version of Maleware bytes
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The free version of Maleware bytes
    Hmmmm . . . . I use the free version as well and I've never experienced that. The MBAM site states that "Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating." I'm not sure why MBAM would turn on in the background if there is no realtime protection in the free version.[attachment=87465:MBAM.PNG]

Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hmmmm . . . . I use the free version as well and I've never experienced that. The MBAM site states that "Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating." I'm not sure why MBAM would turn on in the background if there is no realtime protection in the free version.[attachment=87465:MBAM.PNG]

I've never had Malwarebytes run realtime protection. I offered that I use WinPatrol to disable programs you don't wish running when your PC starts. From what I read and understand the realtime protection only comes with the paid version as you so aptly displayed above.

Hey Jude

Thanks
    I don't know what to tell you. I never paid for Malware Bytes, and even now mbam.exe is listed in the startup tab of msconfig. I have to do a selective start up and uncheck Malware Bytes to prevent the program from running in the background.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you by chance installed a short time "Trial" version of the Pro version?

I have had several clients do this and I had to uninstall the trial version and reload the FREE version.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Have you by chance installed a short time "Trial" version of the Pro version?
    I have had several clients do this and I had to uninstall the trial version and reload the FREE version.
    I would have said that was the best explanation. Not surprisingly, all software companies are anxious for you to try their paid-for products, and then pay for them! Look at the rubbish that PC manufacturers get paid to put on newly-built PCs, and the unwanted toolbars that accompany many free products (Adobe Reader and Piriform, for example)...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I have used MalWare Bytes for a couple of years and have never downloaded a trial version of it. Neither have I ever paid for it. And yet there it is in msconfig. Somehow, during a normal definitions update my program was updated to a version that runs in the background. Not sure how. Very perplexing. They may have a glitch in their update system that intermittently effects Windows 7 users.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    JV16 has a utility called Startup Manager which will let you prevent programs from loading at startup. I'm sure there are a hundred other ways of doing the same thing, but I just happened to use that recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast