Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to this forum (thank you Windows Secrets!) and what surprises me the most is that there is no simple way to see whether a thread asking a question is solved or not.

A simple technique could be to ask the initiator of a thread to edit his first post and to add the tag "[Solved]" (without quotes but with square brackets) at the beginning of the thread title. This way, it will be very easy to spot which threads have an answer when you search whether your problem has already been discussed.
    This eco-post is made of recycled electrons

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Stephane

The original incarnation of the Lounge was run on very old software that did not have that option and when Windows Secrets took the database over and upgraded it to IP board this item was discussed. The primary action was to ensure the data was safe and imported correctly.

I know from discussions that Brian and his new Admin team have some really interesting projects to do involving the Lounge and hopefully your suggestion will be one of them. I have noticed that on some boards the [Solved] option is not utilised very well by the original poster so the thread is closed by Admin or Moderators

It would certainly be a useful item and there are pros and cons for its use, a con in recent times was noted when new Loungers reactivated old threads of a few years old instead of creating new ones that were more poignant to more recent software.

Let's see what the new Admin team have got to say
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a short test in the test area and if you edit your first post it doesn't change its date, so this is good news if the forum administrators decide to promote this way of working. It is correct that one of the roles of the administrators is to track solved topics and to add the 'magic' tag. I don't know yet the pattern of posters / experts but if the most active ones promote this behaviour, it could become a de facto practice quite soon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One of the problems with using the tag "Solved" that most original posters do not come back and post to let us know that the problem is solved.
    Not only that in a thread there may be several "fixes" and nothing is stated as to which "Fix" did the trick.

I visit a couple of other sites that use this tag, and most are not used when it should have been, so in my opinion, it is a useless tag.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephane Quenson View Post
    It is correct that one of the roles of the administrators is to track solved topics and to add the 'magic' tag.
    Really? Administrators are supposed to track whether questions are solved? That's news to me -- and not necessarily good news, either.

I'm certainly not privy to the workings of the Windows Secrets team and their motivations, but as a long-time user of the "old" Lounge, while I would come here for help (and frequently found my answers without ever having to post), I never saw this as a users vs. experts resource. I also would log on daily just to stay in the loop and make whatever contributions I could -- it doesn't happen often, just because someone else has usually already posted what I would have offered as a suggestion.

I've always seen this as a community rather than simply a place to get my computing questions answered. Although this is almost always the first place I turn when I have a question, that's because it is a trusted source. Before the switch to Windows Secrets it was a completely volunteer effort, and a labor of love on the part of all who contributed, and that attitude showed. I don't post often, but having been a part of the Lounge for the last 9 years, I almost feel like I know many of the regulars here. I'm saddened to see the loss of some of those regulars to this lounge, who have decided not to contriubte any longer, but I'm also beginning to understand why.

The whole tenor of the lounge has changed for me, and while I'll still check in when I have a problem, I'm not so sure I'll be hanging around for the fun of it anymore.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "It is correct that one of the roles of the administrators is to track solved topics and to add the 'magic' tag."

Sorry if I was misunderstood, I was not referring to this forum but to other forums where this tag is in use and enforced (like the OpenOffice forum) and one of the roles of the moderators (I am one in the French forum) is indeed to make sure that the answered questions are properly tagged.

Brian Livingston
    It's a very good idea to add [Solved] or something like that to the title of a post that's been resolved. Any member can edit the title of his or her post, so that should be a simple thing. The Lounge Rules say that members should add a reply to their own posts if a solution happens to be discovered outside of the Lounge process. But the rules have never suggested adding a word to the title, as well. Perhaps the rules should be amended, although of course most members don't read the full text of the rules, so an amendment would be unseen by most members.

I don't believe it's been the practice of the Admins, now or in the past, to edit members' titles for them. The Admins try to add "fixed" or "done" to the end of threads that involve a bug report about the Lounge. But editing a poster's post and title is usually left to the poster or to a Moderator of a particular forum. Also, many threads are true discussions and not a technical point that can be "solved." Still, adding a "solved" icon or text suffix to the title of appropriate posts is a good idea that we'll work on further. Thanks for suggesting this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd personally like to see an icon of some sort added that could be activated via a checkbox or something like that (I'm not really good with aesthetics). I'd say such an icon should appear before the title kind of like the sticker things you see in many linux distros or the symbol windows sometimes puts on protected files. Ultimately though the person should probably edit their OP as well to mention what fixed the problem. Personally I'd probably be relatively unaffected either way since if the question is unanswered then I can just post something in it to bump it up and wait for a reply myself. If the question has been answered then I will either add my two cents or check into the methods of others (could always find a program or configuration I like better than my current setup).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a new joiner via Windows Secrets, I liked to add some comments about procedures for consideration.

1. As a reader of threads, it would be nice if the original submitter would acknowledge that s/he received a solution that worked and which one worked if several were offered.

2. Maybe a reminder could be inserted in posting header(s) requesting that the original poster return and post a "problem solved" tag when that occurs.

3. If the Lounge could offer a mechanism available to only the original poster and the administrators or monitors to lock the thread from further entries, this would serve to declare a solution found or no longer of interest to the original poster and to cause new posters to start new threads for newer versions rather than restart old threads and maybe confusing issues.

4. If a batch application could be run against the database to determine open threads that have not been updated in some time frame, say over a year (make this a parameter value so it can be changed as appropriate), that the open threads are closed via this batch application with the appropriate wording in the comments field. This application could handle threads where no one was able to "finalize" the threads for whatever the reason.

As an old mainframer I have designed and coded such applications, but I do not know how much leeway the Lounge has to create such an application for their database.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a new joiner via Windows Secrets, I liked to add some comments about procedures for consideration.

1. As a reader of threads, it would be nice if the original submitter would acknowledge that s/he received a solution that worked and which one worked if several were offered.

2. Maybe a reminder could be inserted in posting header(s) requesting that the original poster return and post a "problem solved" tag when that occurs.

3. If the Lounge could offer a mechanism available to only the original poster and the administrators or monitors to lock the thread from further entries, this would serve to declare a solution found or no longer of interest to the original poster and to cause new posters to start new threads for newer versions rather than restart old threads and maybe confusing issues.

4. If a batch application could be run against the database to determine open threads that have not been updated in some time frame, say over a year (make this a parameter value so it can be changed as appropriate), that the open threads are closed via this batch application with the appropriate wording in the comments field. This application could handle threads where no one was able to "finalize" the threads for whatever the reason.

As an old mainframer I have designed and coded such applications, but I do not know how much leeway the Lounge has to create such an application for their database.

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast