3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Studio laptop computer running Vista and am trying to hookup an external monitor.
    The monitor works great, but I get the same image on both external and laptop.
    When I close the laptop top, both screens go black.
    Is there a way to configure the laptop to work with the lid shut and only view the external monitor.
    In other works use the laptop as the CPU and keyboard, mouse, and monitor are external.

Also I have seen where you can have both external and laptop viewing two seperate applications at the same time.
    How is that accomplished.

Thanks in advance.
    Richard Spring

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    I have a Dell Studio laptop computer running Vista and am trying to hookup an external monitor.
    The monitor works great, but I get the same image on both external and laptop.
    When I close the laptop top, both screens go black.
    Is there a way to configure the laptop to work with the lid shut and only view the external monitor.
    In other works use the laptop as the CPU and keyboard, mouse, and monitor are external.

Also I have seen where you can have both external and laptop viewing two seperate applications at the same time.
    How is that accomplished.

Thanks in advance.
    Have you gone into your Power Option Properties in Control Panel and selected the option about what to do when you close the lid of a portable computer??? Here is a discussion which might help
    http://tinyurl.com/ydnqxde

MS also has instructions if you scroll down to Add a monitor to your laptop computer with specific directions for Vista

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use an external monitor on my laptop to show different applications from the built in monitor.
    Right click on the Desktopp, and choose Personaise, then Go to Display Settings.
    Here are the settings I use. I have the external Monitor (2) on the left of the built in Monitor (2).

[attachment=87457:externalmonitor.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Jude and John:

I was able to toggle between external, laptop, and both by using Fn+F8 keystroke combination.

I looked for your suggestion to turn off lid closed option, but was unable to find it in my "Control Panel"

I guess the laptop screen up is not that big of a deal, so thanks for all the help

Richard Spring
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    What version of Vista are you running? How to change laptop lid settings If you double click the battery icon does it take you to Power Management?

I notice in my first posting above for some reason I failed to add the hyperlink to Add a monitor to your laptop computer Scroll down to where you can choose Vista settings.

I found another thread which might be pertinent Vista and external laptop monitor in regards to your graphics chip and driver
    Scroll down to the 4th response. "...It might be that you have to connect
    your external monitor, leave the laptop open, configure the display
    settings, and then close your laptop. ...
    "

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better