2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. I notice that there are items in recovery drive (D). In Woody's book Windows 7 for Dummies, he mentions keeping the shadow copies in the (D) drive. When I went to the Protection Settings area of the System Properties the (D) drive was turned off. I've turned it on following the instructions on page 143. Will the new shadow copies wipe off what is on (D) from Vista or should I format (D)? Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This D drive was the Vista Recovery partition that is now useless, since the recovery program was wiped out when you installed Windows 7.

How large is this D drive, as it may not be big enough for your use?

You still do not want to include this D drive to be covered in the protection, but to be the storage of the shadow copies, if there is enough room. Why make a shadow copy of the shadow copies?

In order to use this D drive, yes, you will need to format it. This will remove the Vista recovery files and anything else that has been copied there.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You need to say what make and model computer you have. The D Recovery partition on Dell Computers for instance cannot be used for recovery after the upgrade to Win 7. The D partition is just a section of the C drive, not a separate hard drive. It should never be added to or used for backup or for anything else while it was the Vista Image. It was only for a Factory Restore. Now that you've upgraded, it cannot be used for factory restore. You can ignore the partition or wipe it clean and use it--but not for backup. If you ignore it, you don't need system protection on it. Keep your backups on an external drive. Win 7 has a disk imaging utility in Backup and Restore. Keep that on a separate external drive too.

Thanks
    You may want to checkout Brink's tutorial on extending partitions and volumes in Win 7.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all and thanks for the replies. I guess I should have read the heading of Woody's article "Maintaining previous versions on different drives". Since I don't want to go back to Vista I should have skipped this. Also, I guess I should wipe drive (D) clean.

I have a Dell computer and the size of drive (D) is 9.99 GB. I also have an external drive that I back up onto.

Thanks
    Since you have upgraded to Windows 7, I assume you no longer need the Vista Recovery Partition Dell and most others add to the hdd. You can recover that 9.9 gb and add it to your main partition. I used a free partition software here: http://download.cnet.com/Partition-W...-10962200.html Read about it here: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

It's very easy to use and lets face it 10 gb is 10 gb of space.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, I downloaded and used it. I now have 188 GB free!

Thanks
    Glad it worked so well for you. I have learned of many useful software programs through these forums and I am trying to do my part to help others as I have been helped.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy