3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, about a month ago I downloaded a bunch of my favorite freeware applications. I planned on burning the bunch to a CD.
    Some of the program titles were:
    7-Zip 4.65
    OpenOffice 3.1.1
    Defraggler 1.15.163
    SpeedFan 4.40
    ImgBurn 2.5.0.0
    and many, many, more!

I first downloaded these programs, then I installed them with no problem at all.
    I kept the program installation files saved on my computer untouched from when they were downloaded.
    Today, about a month later I tried to reinstall one of the programs.
    I double-clicked on "7-Zip 4.65" and then received the dreaded NSIS Error.
    Please see the screen shot of the error below, click on it to view larger.
    Some programs gave me one kind of error and others gave me a different one, so I took a screen shot of each.
    I don't understand what is causing this. The programs all installed without problems, so why are these program files now "corrupt".
    I also feel that if I had burned these programs to a CD before this error occurred, then everything would be fine in the future since CD's are "read only."
    That is merely an idea of mine, but I don't know of how true that is.

Any help with this would be great, Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Time can fix anything.....even a broken clock. - Handy Andy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Could be either viral activity or a damaged disk - my money is on a virus.
    Download a new copy and compare the files.

CDs are generally read only, but you can get read/write ones. Burned CDs have a reasonable life but should not be used for long term storage (5 - 10 years) because they deteriorate. Pressed CDs (commercial software) will last 5 to 10 years if they are stored away from the sun and extremes of temperature.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I downloaded 7-Zip 4.65 again since it was one of the programs that gave me that error.
    After downloading I was able to install it with no problem at all.
    I was hoping that there would be a better solution, because it doesn't make sense to me that the first time I downloaded it, it worked fine.
    I just feel like it is only a matter of time before the one I just downloaded gives me the same error.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I downloaded 7-Zip 4.65 again since it was one of the programs that gave me that error.
    After downloading I was able to install it with no problem at all.
    I was hoping that there would be a better solution, because it doesn't make sense to me that the first time I downloaded it, it worked fine.
    I just feel like it is only a matter of time before the one I just downloaded gives me the same error.
    My guess (but just a guess) is that your HD might be on the way out. It may be worthwhile running a chkdsk /fix to see if there are any problems that have developed on that drive.

It is also possible that the NSIS install envelope has a problem. It might also be worth trying to install (a second copy of) one of the downloads that appears to have corrupted, but overriding the NSIS corruption check. For instance, click Start > Run, navigate to your download folder and type SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe /NCRC. Be sure not to overwrite your "good" installation.

Let us know of your results.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am experiencing this error on a hard drive that is less than 4 months old. I have run tests on it anyway that result in the hard drive being healthy.

I also tried the method you mentioned to bypass the NSIS corruption check. Provided that I did it correctly, I still get the same error.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The disk manufacturers provide diagnostic software that will identify problems.
    The other possibility is bad firmware - I had this with 3 Seagate/Maxtor 500GB drives. A firmware update fixed the problem.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried looking for a firmware update for my drive with no luck.
    The drive is a Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EAVS-00M4B0 (SATA) 1 TB.
    I also contacted Western Digital asking for the firmware.
    Hopefully they will respond soon.