Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Suddenly, and without warning, OL 2010 (in Win 7 HP) won't let me open hyperlinks. I get this dialog box:
    This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System Administrator.
    I didn't change any security restrictions and I can't find where to enable this. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you have Google Chrome installed and then removed it?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did. After a bit more research this is oviously the issue. The problem I have now is that none of the 'fixes' seem to work. I've tried
    setting IE8 as the defailt (it already was)
    setting program defaults to Microsoft (always reverts to Custom...weird)
    checked the supposed corrupt registry key - looks as it should be

One oddity. The first time I select a hyperlink in OL2010, I get the error dialog box from Word, second time I select the same hyperlink, I get an error dialog (same words) from Outlook.

Not sure where to go from here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

Pasted from http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm

This is not an Outlook error. The most common cause is a corrupt registry key in Internet Explorer. The registry key found at
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell \open\command
    is either damaged or corrupt.

To fix it, try resetting Web settings in Internet Explorer. If this does not resolve the issue, set IE as the default browser following the steps in Set Program Access in Control Panel. If you use a different browser as your default, you need to set IE as the default until you verify the links work in Outlook.

If you uninstalled Chrome (or Firefox) and then received the error, see Edit Registry, Part 2

In addition to Chrome and Firefox, other HTML rendering and editing programs may take the HTML open command and cause this error. Greg reports UltraEdit is one such program. See Edit Registry, Part 2 for the fix.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed all the direstions in Part 1 nd Part 2 listed at Slipstick. I imported the specified key from another PC (it appeared identical). I changed the .xxxx class registry entries from Chromehtml to htmlfile as suggested.

Still doesn't work. I did find a number of other instances of the CHROMfile entry in the registry and I may go change those.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Word vs Outlook dialog error though.

It's become vvery annoying and I'm a little peeved at Google for not making their software right - this has been an issue for a LONG time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go to the link above and the scroll down to the following area
    Import the Registry Key When resetting the web settings doesn't help, you'll need to recreate the corrupt key. The easiest way to do this is by exporting the key from another computer.

To save exporting it from another computer, download this registry key exported from my computer. Right click on the link and choose Save target as then change the file extension from txt to reg and double click on it to run it.

If you prefer to use a key from a computer you have access to, follow the instructions in You receive an error message when you click a hyperlink in Outlook.
    Then click on the word This in "download this registry" and the follow the include instructions above or at the web site.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did export the key from another PC and imported it. till didn't work. I found literally dozens of CHROMEhtml entries left in the registry after the uninstall.

I was able to solve it this way:
    I installed Firefox and set it as default, then put IE8 back as default.

I'll keep Firefox for now.