Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a laptop with Win XP. Using the Windows Upgrade Advisor I find that the laptop is capable of running Win 7 but without the Aero interface. I'd sort of like to go that route as networking multiple PCs (I have 3 including the XP laptop) would be so much easier. Networking XP machines sucks as it's inconsistent - some days it's there and some days not.
    With my Win 7 machine, I've yet to make the connection. Of course upgrading my 3-hr old laptop is not practical - it would be cheaper to buy a new one.

Running Win 7 without the Aero interface might be kind of ugly and not nearly as easy as running Win 7 with the Aero interface. Has anyone done the upgrade to Win 7 without Aero from XP?. If so, how is it? After using Win 7 with Aero for 6 mos., it would be hard to use a lesser user interface. For practical reasons, I am not prepared to get a new laptop or continue to "limp" along with XP.
    Don Plorde

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    During beta I was testing on a OLD XP Sony and it was OK, but slow and missed the new stuff.

I currently, have a Sony with Windows 7 RC (came with XP), Sony with XP, a Sony with laptop with Vista, Sony laptop with Windows 7, a Hard Drives Northwest Vista and a HP with Windows 7 (came with Vista), all networked and file sharing and printer sharing working just fine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally I have not done XP to Win7 on a laptop but, here at our local computer club, I have done such an upgrade several times with other people's laptops. Since you are not in the market for a new laptop, how bad can the laptop be without Aero (XP doesn't have Aero and you are running that already)? With the move to Win7, networking will be easier. I say bite the bullet and put Win7 on that "old laptop".

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 2 nVidia Geforce 7900 GTX 512mb video cards, and the upgrade adviser told me I could not use Aero interface. In fact, the upgrade adviser suggested I upgrade my video cards. I laughed because I knew it do could do Aero and it does. I hope you gave Windows 7 a try and hopefully Aero works for you too.
    Bonnie

Thanks
    What kind of video card do you currently have in your XP?
    Have you considered if your system meets the following criteria for Aero? Scroll down to Aero hardware requirements. If your system meets those requirements then I too would say, "GO FOR IT."

"Your computer's hardware and video card must meet hardware requirements to able to display Aero graphics. Check that your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements for running Aero..."

http://tinyurl.com/yktpaey

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    I vote on Go For It!!! Let's see, you will end up with Windows 7 instead of XP. Windows 7 is far more secure, networks very easily, even wireless, when tweaked properly (yea I know, each version of Windows from 95 on needs tweaking for optimum use) is faster than XP. Let's say you set it up with no Aero features enabled. You still have the latest Windows available, and it will probably look similar to your XP. Aero features can be added back in, in parts. See how far you can go.

The biggest problems would be drivers for devices and Windows 7 is pretty good with this as well. Even if a device does not have Win 7 drivers, most Vista drivers work as well.

As I say, go for it. You will ultimately be happier. Then when the time comes for a new laptop, you will already know Win7 and know how to make the new PC scream.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    So you'll "Go For It" and when it's all humming along you'll be happy you took the plunge. I was searching and found "Windows 7 has a nice little Windows Aero troubleshooting tool to find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects, and then enable and turn on Aero support (and also Aero Peek) in Windows 7. If the tool does not work to enable Aero feature in Windows 7, the trick to force enable Aero in Windows Vista may still work in Windows 7.
    In the event Aero isn't enabled then Hack to Force Enable Aero in Windows 7
    WOT shows the site green

Hey Jude

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you. I followed the collective advice - "try it anyway". Win 7 is now installed on my laptop with the Aero interface working!

There was a bit of irony in this. The first time I ran Windows Upgrade Advisor, downloaded in Mar, 2009, it reported that my laptop would support the Aero interface. After Win 7 was
    released, I downloaded the updated Advisor and this time it reportted that my laptop would not support the Aero interface. This was my belief when I posted my original query. I ran the upgrade advisor again and was notified that a new version was available. I downloaded, installed and ran it. Lo and behold, it reported that my laptop would support the Aero interface.
    I guess this supports the old adage - "the third time is the charm".

Don Plorde

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Plorde View Post
    Thanks to all of you. I followed the collective advice - "try it anyway". Win 7 is now installed on my laptop with the Aero interface working!

I guess this supports the old adage - "the third time is the charm".

WOOHOOOOO~!~!~!~! Now aren't you glad you took the plunge

Hey Jude