Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have inserted two different flash drive cards into my card ready one was 4GB and the other was 8GB and both say the same thing. See attached is there something that I am missing here in using the ReadyBoost?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    As tested, the card cannot reach the sustained transfer speed required to make ReadyBoost benefit your system. If you format the card to NTFS (if it's currently FAT32), you may find that on retest Windows will allow them to be used.

Be aware however that you may not notice an improvement in speed; some people find a performance increase (often with slow PC's), others say they find no benefit from using ReadyBoost.

Thanks
    I concur. Ready Boost does not affect Win 7 nearly as much as the older OS's. It's far easier to tweak Windows 7 to increase speed. Check here: http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/ for numerous ways to personalize and tweak Windows 7. I have read that you need to use specialized high speed thumb drives to operate Ready Boost.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks Ted and Andy and welcome to the lounge too.
    I have been reading up on it as well and have decided to leave well enough alone. After I did what I needed to do See my post "Windows XP to Windows 7 Ultimate" this thing is running better than it ever has.
    Thanks for the "How to Geek" Ted
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I don't have too much confidence in the whole"ready boost" thing.
    I think if you have to use ready boost, Get yourself a memory usb stick that
    can handle the transfer speeds needed to make it actually worth using.

Otherwise an upgrade in your system RAM will go a far longer way in speeding up your computer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Intel X25 solid state drive will do the most to speed up a system boot and operations. It will also cost the most.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am curious about the rationale for formatting the flash memory as NTFS. It was my understanding that these things were usually just FAT, and that the efficiencies associated with NTFS apply only to way in which the data is stored on a spinning drive.

Thanks
    @peterg, NTFS (and ExFAT) is not as limited in terms of file sizes as are FAT, FAT16 and FAT32 (500Mb, 2Gb and 4Gb), as ReadyBoost can then use the full space on the USB or SD card.

My experience installing 7 on netbooks shows that the install is much faster from a USB drive formatted with NTFS than on the same stick formatted with FAT32. I've also formatted non-ReadyBoost sticks from FAT32 and found them to work fine with ReadyBoost afterwards.

I think that NTFS has changed slightly in the last few years, perhaps also the drivers used by 7 are better, too.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the explanation - I had forgotten about the maximum memory accessed, and had my mind on access times. I get confused about the true nature of these things, and need an education in such esoteric matters.

Thanks
    Well, for giggles I went down and bought a PNY flash drive that stated that it was Ready Boost capable. I stuck it in and clicked on the appropriate item and got the same message that I posted earlier.
    I really don't need another flash drive but nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Thanks John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After going to the properties of my memory stick formatted in NTFS I also got the same result, but I clicked on the retest button and suddenly it was working.
    Made no difference to win7 speed though, but with 8GB ram did not expect it to.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I stuck the flash drive in and reformatted to NTFS then reset, and it came up good to go. Did it make any difference? Well it is too early to tell, and I have only had one cup of coffee, but I did notice that Outlook opened up faster.
    Will keep an eye on this.

HP Pavilion dv5000 CTO Notebook
    2GB RAM
    2GB RAM (Ready Boost)
    2.4 AMD Turion64 Processor
    Thanks John

Thanks
    24 hours later after the insertion of a Ready Boost Flash Drive, and I am impressed. Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro was one program that seemed to take forever to open. Now it opens extremely fast. Less than 5 seconds from the start menu w/o using an existing document. Opening an existing document was close to that as well. Yes I did time these and this is totally unscientific.
    Printing to an asleep Lexmark Prevail 705 Pro printer was another go get a cuppa coffee program. Also sped this up.
    My advice to anyone that is toying with trying the ready boost, is if your computer is older such as mine is (3 years), go for it. Remember though to format the flash drive to NTFS.
    And last but not least, the cards in solitaire flew off the screen this morning. Anyone got a spare Ace of Spades?

HP Pavilion dv5000 CTO Notebook
    2GB RAM
    2GB RAM (Ready Boost)
    2.4 AMD Turion64 Processor
    Thanks John

Thanks
    t8ntlikly, I pleased you're having such good results with ReadyBoost

Now that we know you're using a laptop, it's easier to speculate on how it's helping; laptop hard drives are almost always way slower than their desktop equivalents, anything that will take the strain from the HDD will help.

I wonder if your power settings affect it? Do you get similar speed increases plugged and unplugged?

I've since read that many people have reportedly made their Flash drives ReadyBoost useable by formatting NTFS and using compression ...

Thanks
    Andy,
    For Follow Up
    I have been running on battery and wirelessly for the past 24 hours or so and I don't see any difference in the speed unplugged vs. plugged in.
    Thanks John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast