Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I am hoping to get a general answer to this before I try it, and screw something up!

I have a computer that has been upgraded from Vista Home Premium 64 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64. The computer was bought refurbished, and pretty much has only whatever HP software that came with it. I had a lot of the hardware upgraded, too, so those drivers are also onboard.

I have a lot of very useful XP programs from my fully-patched, older machine (32 bit). I would like to try using a lot of them, even tho' they are either listed as not Win7 compatible or are not referenced at all as to compatibility.

The question is: Is there much of a risk that I could do harm to my new Win7 install? Or, if a program really isn't compatible, would it just fail to install without causing other problems? I really don't understand how the registry works, or how a program actually installs and runs, and would probably NOT understand a too-technical answer. I just don't want to create a mess that damages or slows down this new computer (too much). At the same time, I would like to see if some of those old (useful!) older programs can work.

One example (out of many) is Acronis 8. On my XP machines, this program has always worked well. I made the mistake of upgrading some computers to Acronis 2009, and have had much more mixed results. I'll bet Acronis 8 won't work on Win7, but I would love to find out for sure. (However, it's listed as Not Compatible by the Win7 website.)

Anything else I should be considering here? Thanks!
    "I'm never in denial." -- D. Rhine

Thanks
    I have read that Acronis 9 will not work with Windows 7, you would have to upgrade to Acronis 10. I thus would suspect that Acronis 8 will not work as well. What I would suggest is get a copy of Revo Uninstaller here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html . Revo Uninstaller uses the programs own uninstaller or the Windows uninstaller to uninstall programs, but goes further to detect any leftover stuff the uninstaller misses to delete that as well. One caveat if the software uninstaller or windows uninstaller need to reboot to finish, do no reboot until you finish the Revo uninstaller completely, including looking for the stuff left behind. I find the advanced uninstall works just fine every time.

Now getting back to your original question, try installing the programs one at a time, to check if it works. If so, great, if not, use Revo to uninstall that program, then try the next, and so forth.

Once your done use CCCleaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com/download - it is free as well) and run analyzer for both files and registry to clean any left behind stuff.

It is important to clean up all this stuff left behind to keep your Windows 7 install at it's best.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That sounds pretty safe.

Thanks
    I would advise against using any registry cleaner. This Link is filled with the pros and cons- read through it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Hensley View Post
    I am hoping to get a general answer to this before I try it, and screw something up!
    I don't disagree with the previous two posts, BUT I would solve the imaging question BEFORE you go on with attempting installs of ANY older software! I agree with the Revo thing but you've absolutely GOT to have a good, current backup image. If you don't want to spring for the latest Acronis TI, you should consider ShadowProtect!

Thanks
    Acronis True Image 2010 is $49.99 here: http://www.acronis.com/promo/choose_...Fc5L5QodPg9ZJA
    Whereas the ShadowProtect you mentioned is $79.99 at the link you provided. What makes ShadowProtect better than the more famous ATI?? $30 is a lot of a difference to justify. I also believe a good image is necessary before experimenting at any level.

I utilize a variety of utilities to help fight maleware and viruses. The once a month philosopy of the past is bunk today. You have to be proactive on a regular basis to ensure a clean system. I use MSE in the background, and regularly scan my system. I also use Antimalware Bytes and spybot to scan. I always update the definitions regularly and before running scans.

I have used CC Cleaner for at least a month now with no ill effects and have used Revo for a year. This is a great uninstaller.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Acronis True Image 2010 is $49.99 here: http://www.acronis.com/promo/choose_...Fc5L5QodPg9ZJA
    Whereas the ShadowProtect you mentioned is $79.99 at the link you provided. What makes ShadowProtect better than the more famous ATI?? $30 is a lot of a difference to justify. I also believe a good image is necessary before experimenting at any level.
    There's a comparison post "somewhere" in the Backup Forum attempting to answer just that question. But it was some time ago and I can't find it under quick search. I have to leave now so I'll look for it when I get back here. (unless the poster happens to read this and can find it for you - wink, wink)

What I do remember is that I left Acronis back at version 8 or 9 because I couldn't get my overnight incremental backup to work any longer as it had in previous versions.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Acronis True Image 2010 is $49.99 here: http://www.acronis.c...CFc5L5QodPg9ZJA

I utilize a variety of utilities to help fight maleware and viruses. The once a month philosopy of the past is bunk today. You have to be proactive on a regular basis to ensure a clean system. I use MSE in the background, and regularly scan my system. I also use Antimalware Bytes and spybot to scan. I always update the definitions regularly and before running scans.

I have used CC Cleaner for at least a month now with no ill effects and have used Revo for a year. This is a great uninstaller.
    As an existing user of Acronis you may qualify for a better price with an upgrade. Be sure you register all such things, as you will definitely get better deals (at the price of more advertising). The latest Acronis appears to be the best yet.

Your computer is an HP you will almost certainly find that it is extremely well supported if you visit HP's website. Have your machine's exact model number and details ready so that you can enter it into the field, and let HP update it for you automatically. (This may take considerable time if you have upgraded without resorting to HP prior to this.) If you can't find it any other way, and this is advisable in any case, I suggest that you download and run periodically the latest version of the Windows Upgrade Advisor, even after installing Windows 7. This is just for purposes of making the transition; once Win 7 is fully functional, then you can uninstall it, but that is another good source of automated advice on what works and what does not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    There's a comparison post "somewhere" in the Backup Forum attempting to answer just that question....
    Perhaps ShadowProtect - report or Review of imaging software?

(Both in Other Applications, not Backup...)

Thanks
    Whereas the ShadowProtect you mentioned is $79.99 at the link you provided. What makes ShadowProtect better than the more famous ATI?? $30 is a lot of a difference to justify.
    I won't go into "what makes Product A better than Product B", but to obtain the ability to to a "bare metal restore" - i.e. restore an image to completely different hardware - you must purchase the Plus Pack for Acronis. This add-on costs an additional $29.99. ShadowProtect has always had this functionality built in to the Desktop Edition. So in fact, SP is no more expensive than Acronis. At one time, the combined TI Home and the additional module were actually considerably more expensive than SP. I suspect that Acronis may be responding to this.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The upgrade price for Acronis 2010 (not 10) is thirty bucks. Just go to the web page for Acronis® True Image Home 2010 and where the price is displayed click on Upgrade. I see no condition specifying which version you must already own to qualify, although you might have to enter the serial number when you install the new version. It is even possible that you will be offered the Plus Pack at the promotional price at which I got it, which was fifteen bucks. My thanks to Rebel for telling me what I got: I couldn't seem to find documentation anywhere, and Acronis WinPE ISO Builder is all that clicking on the installed program displays.

Historically, and certainly at version 8, Acronis and other home backup programs were strictly backup programs. Then a great review and good press got users interested in drive shadows with ShadowProtect. Others are now trying to catch up, with Microsft having a shadow backup included the high end versions of Win 7, and Acronis, which has a large user base, now competing both in features and in price.

Thanks
    Rebel, that's the type of comparison I was looking for. If I'm looking for just an image backup and incremental back up then Acronis seems a good choice, but for bare metal backup, then Acronis would need the plus pack, which would then be a similar price to ShadowProtect. Thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    ... for bare metal backup, then Acronis would need the plus pack, which would then be a similar price to ShadowProtect...
    "Bare metal backup" usually means the ability to boot from a CD or DVD and restore a complete system image. This is included in the basic Acronis product. You only need the Plus pack if you want to be able to restore to different hardware, for example if you replace your motherboard.

Thanks
    Does that mean that I will not need a System Repair Disk to use my image???

I am having a problem right now with my PC seeing a brand new WD My Book Essentials 2 External HDD. The system sees the Ext HDD appropriately during normal use. When I attempt to test my image I created on the Ext. HDD using Win 7 Image Back Up, I go through the Back up routine and when the PC restarts, it does not see my Ext HDD. I believe it may be a driver issue. When I boot into safe mode it also sees the Ext HDD, but not when I go the Image Restore routine.

If I create the Image to the Ext HDD with ATI how would I use the Ext HDD to restore my PC in the event of a catastrophy?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted: This does not resolve your problem, but--

Last year or so, I bought several WD MyBook ext drives at Walmart because they were the cheapest for the size. Big mistake. I find that not all my computers can see them. I believe this is, indeed, a driver issue. However, I think one computer read one long enough to store my image on it, then could never access it again. They are a pain in the posterior, and I will not buy another one. (I have owned, literally, dozens of Ext HDs of different makes, and these are the only ones I've ever had trouble with.)

Even on the few computers that can read them, I would certainly not use them as a backup image I had to rely on.

End of rant. Good luck to you, and I hope things go better for you.

FYI, my old Acronis programs needed to use a System Repair Disk only if there were serious problems with the computer. Otherwise, they could restore from Acronis Secure Zone or any image Acronis created (I believe), but I'll admit that I didn't use that function.

On 2 separate occasions in the past, I performed bare metal restores using Acronis 8. I think I booted from System Repair Disk and the wizard allowed me to choose the image on the D drive. Just a contribution to the Acronis discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast