Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this something I should try to fix or is it a benign problem? I am trying to fix occasional explorer crashes, so looking through the event viewer I am trying to fix several errors I see every time I boot the system. This is one of them.

[attachment=87462:WMI event.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the only other error I get. I've searched for the current version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package, but am not sure if I should even fix it.[attachment=87494:side by side.PNG]
    This link is the newest version I can find: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en Should I install this or is there a newer version? Or should I just leave it alone?

Are either of the above errors likely to be related to my windows explorer crashes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty K View Post
    This is the only other error I get. I've searched for the current version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package, but am not sure if I should even fix it. This link is the newest version I can find: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en Should I install this or is there a newer version? Or should I just leave it alone?

Are either of the above errors likely to be related to my windows explorer crashes?
    If you are using a version of Microsoft Works see Event ID 33 is logged in the Application log when you start an application in Microsoft Works SE 9 on a Windows Server 2008-based computer or on a Windows Vista-based computer. Even though this refers to Vista it probably applies to Windows 7 also. You can ignore the events.

It can't hurt to install the Visual C++ 2008 runtimes. See Download details: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) & Download details: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) for the latest versions.

I doubt any of these are related to a Windows Explorer crash. Do you find anything else in the event log at the time Explorer crashes?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty K View Post
    Is this something I should try to fix or is it a benign problem? I am trying to fix occasional explorer crashes, so looking through the event viewer I am trying to fix several errors I see every time I boot the system. This is one of them.
    If this PC was upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 were these events happening under Vista?

See Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008. Even though it is not for Windows 7 it may still apply. You can try the script mentioned in the KB article. At a minimum, I'd create a restore point first. If you are really paranoid back up your system first.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, Joe. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I have not had an Explorer crash since a week ago after I disabled a Macrovision software update monitor, isuspm.exe. For that reason, I haven't been fretting over it as much lately. We'll see if it keeps behaving itself.

This is an upgrade from Vista. I did it that way in order to keep the pre-installed software I needed. And yes, I was getting those errors back when Vista was running.

Emachines sent me two disks for my free upgrade, one of which was the actual OS, so maybe I was mistaken and could actually have done a clean install while keeping all of that software (maybe that's what was on the other disk). I may contact them and ask about that (maybe you know that answer). It's easy enough to try since I do a full Acronis image backup every week anyway, plus ERUNT at every boot. I wonder if I should revert to Vista first and re-do the 7 install. I kept the Vista restore partition.

I may try the C++ 2008. I see in control panel that I have the 2005 version already. I'll un-install that first.

Thanks,

Rusty