Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Can text be zoomed (using a mouse) on an LCD monitor, like it can on a CRT monitor?

I don't think so, which is why I have been holding off trading in my old CRT for an LCD. However, the old CRT (20 inches) is nearing the end of its life, so I have to decide whether to buy an LCD or a used CRT.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post
    Can text be zoomed (using a mouse) on an LCD monitor, like it can on a CRT monitor?

I don't think so, which is why I have been holding off trading in my old CRT for an LCD. However, the old CRT (20 inches) is nearing the end of its life, so I have to decide whether to buy an LCD or a used CRT.
    Are you referring to zooming with the mouse wheel - e.g. on web pages?
    I can't see why it shouldn't - it works OK with mine. I would imagine it is more to do with your mouse and/or graphics driver than the hardware.

Thanks

What makes you think this is so?
    I can do anything on my LCD as I could on my older CRT monitors. ( including all mouse functions )
    Maybe we are talking apples and oranges here.
    Give us some more detail,please.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Why do I think this? Because it is my understanding that LCD's are hard programmed to work best at a specific text size.

Anything other than native size looks crappy.

Can you verify that this is not so? Can you provide sample screenshots to compare?

And remember, I am talking about zooming via the mouse wheel, not changing any program options.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Are you referring to zooming with the mouse wheel - e.g. on web pages?
    I can't see why it shouldn't - it works OK with mine. I would imagine it is more to do with your mouse and/or graphics driver than the hardware
    Attached is an example of the simple mouse controlled zooming I can do in a web page (I can also do this in MS Office apps also).
    Can you do this on an LCD monitor?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Attached is an example of the simple mouse controlled zooming I can do in a web page (I can also do this in MS Office apps also).

Can you do this on an LCD monitor?
    Where or where did your attachment go?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Looks like something is wrong with the commenting system to day!

When I went to edit the original post to add the attachment, I see everything run together with HTML tags:

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Are you referring to zooming with the mouse wheel - e.g. on web pages? I can't see why it shouldn't - it works OK with mine. I would imagine it is more to do with your mouse and/or graphics driver than the hardware.
    Attached is an example of the simple mouse controlled zooming I can do in a web page (I can also do this in MS Office apps also). Can you do this on an LCD monitor?

The tags got stuck in the last post I did so, so I will try adding the attachment here.

Thanks
    Nope, attachment didn't attach! (and you can see the post is littered with HTML tags). Is this a problem with the forum or perhaps I need to restart FF? Here is an external link to the attachment: http://www.fototime.com/B432AB038E25150/orig.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you verify that this is not so? Can you provide sample screenshots to compare?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have edit all of the above posts that had HTML code in them.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Bob - I only see ONE screenshot. Is this normal size, expanded or what?

What I'd like to see is at least one shot at your normal resolution and one or two others at different resolutions that you achieved by mouse zooming.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why are we messing around. There is nothing you can do on a CRT monitor that an LCD monitor can't do better.
    Most people now have LCD monitors as CRT is now out of date and behind technology.

In fact I will suspect it will hard to buy new CRT monitors now.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob - I only see ONE screenshot. Is this normal size, expanded or what?

What I'd like to see is at least one shot at your normal resolution and one or two others at different resolutions that you achieved by mouse zooming.
    The previous snapshot was taken with Snagit and shown in expanded mode. I could have scrolledit larger. Not sure I can attach more than one JPG file here so will send in three notes.
    First... Ctrl-Scroll low snapshot:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    ...it is my understanding that LCD's are hard programmed to work best at a specific text size.
    It is true that LCD monitors have a fixed number of pixels, and that they produce their best possible display at this resolution. When you change the text size this varies the number of pixels in the text characters, and I guess it is possible that there will be some specific small text sizes that won't work well on some LCD screens.

The best thing you can do to improve the ability of an LCD screen to display text at various sizes is to use cleartype, this enables text to be placed at sub-pixel boundaries by making use of the fact that each pixel has multiple dots of different colours. If you search Help and Support for cleartype then this will take you to the cleartype tuner for your version of Windows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Pugh View Post
    Why are we messing around. There is nothing you can do on a CRT monitor that an LCD monitor can't do better.
    Most people now have LCD monitors as CRT is now out of date and behind technology.

In fact I will suspect it will hard to buy new CRT monitors now.
    I can do anything on my LCD as I could on my older CRT monitors. ( including all mouse functions )

I told him the same thing in a previous post. Seems like he just doesn't believe it unless we send some one to his house with a test monitor and sworn statements?
    That's it for me! .
    Sorry, Jojo.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast