Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After upgrading to windows 7 ( a clean install,) the optical drive isn't reckognized by the OS. It works fine with Vista, all diagnostics show drive works properly. I have called tech support numerous times, filters are uninstalled, I have uninstalled and re-installed the drive. I have taken this machine to a shop where they even replaced the drive with a different manufacturers drive and the problem persists. The drive can be made to work, the problem is that EVERY single time the computer is put to sleep, and or turned off, the problem returns upon restart. For me to list all the things I have done to this machine would be very lengthy. As I stated earlier, EVERY time the computer is put to sleep the problem returns. The drive can be made to work, but it works only until machine is turned off, or put to sleep. Has anyone heard of this problem?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carroll View Post
    The drive can be made to work, but it works only until machine is turned off, or put to sleep.
    How is it 'made to work'?
    Have you checked if there are any power-saving modes in the hardware?
    How does the drive connect? Internal USB, or IDE, or...?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    How is it 'made to work'?
    Have you checked if there are any power-saving modes in the hardware?
    How does the drive connect? Internal USB, or IDE, or...?
    Unistalling the filters, unistalling and reinstalling the optical drive. Replacing the sata cable. And as a an excellant example of how crazy this problem is, the technicial even went so far as to uninstall the wireless mouse program, used a wired mouse, and the drive then worked. Yet when put to sleep and reawakened, the drive failed to reckognize the disk.
    As for your second question about how the drive is connected I am not that educated to know.

Thanks
    Did the different optical drive work when installed in your machine??
    If not, it almost sounds as though you PC may have had a developing problem that finally came to light after your upgrade. Did the drive work completely during the upgrade?
    You may want to check on flashing the Bios on the PC. At this time I would also install a new cmos battery on the motherboard. Using Device Manager or operators manual (you often can get the operator's manual from the manufacturers web site) you should be able to determine you motherboard manufacturer. Go to the manufacturer web site support area and following any procedure there for updating/flashing your bios. These kind of wierd problems often come from unusual motherboard errors.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Did the different optical drive work when installed in your machine??
    If not, it almost sounds as though you PC may have had a developing problem that finally came to light after your upgrade. Did the drive work completely during the upgrade?
    You may want to check on flashing the Bios on the PC. At this time I would also install a new cmos battery on the motherboard. Using Device Manager or operators manual (you often can get the operator's manual from the manufacturers web site) you should be able to determine you motherboard manufacturer. Go to the manufacturer web site support area and following any procedure there for updating/flashing your bios. These kind of wierd problems often come from unusual motherboard errors.
    The different drive did not work after it was installed. I will check your other suggestions. Thank you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carroll View Post
    ... Replacing the sata cable.
    I think that answers the second question
    I don't think I can help any more - I'll leave it for someone else to come up with some ideas. (You could try disabling 'sleep' - I've never thought it worthwhile on a desktop - and see if that helps it survive a reboot.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Could be a driver problem. I had a similar problem upgrading Sony VAIO notebooks from Vista to Win 7. At one point the DVD drive just disappeared. Turned out that was caused by me replacing Win 7 generic drivers with the Sony Vista drivers. I went back to the generic Win 7 drivers, and then used Driver Max to find the correct current drivers. All seems fine now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What's the make and model of the drive? If Windows 7 doesn't have a compatible driver, you have to get one from the manufacturer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Enter your PCs BIOS and switch the SATA setting for your CD-ROM from AHCI to IDE. This seems to work on some PCs.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestor Valente View Post
    Enter your PCs BIOS and switch the SATA setting for your CD-ROM from AHCI to IDE. This seems to work on some PCs.
    I do not know how to do that. Would you please elaborate? Thank you. I would be gratefull.

Thanks
    As your PC is booting, press the F2 key for many PCs. If F2 does not work perhaps F12. Do this early in the boot cycle. Sometimes I have had to press F2 several times during boot to go into the BIOS. Once there, you will have to search for your Optical drive and using the instruction in the BIOS open the drive specs. There should be info there on how to change. If this or drivers does not help you may have to replace the Optical drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just confirm your suggest. You are correct. However, older bios may not have this option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    As your PC is booting, press the F2 key for many PCs. If F2 does not work perhaps F12. Do this early in the boot cycle. Sometimes I have had to press F2 several times during boot to go into the BIOS. Once there, you will have to search for your Optical drive and using the instruction in the BIOS open the drive specs. There should be info there on how to change. If this or drivers does not help you may have to replace the Optical drive.