Thread: Msconfig

Thanks
    Oddly enough, I just went to run msconfig from my RUN box in XP and it gives error that it's not found. I searched and it is in the correct folder (c:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries)
    but when I ran regedit it doesn't show up here like it should: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE

I am comfortable with hacking the registry, just need to know how to edit the path so it ends up here
    MSconfig.exe

I right clicked My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Environment variables/system variables/Path/Edit but not sure where to type "C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\MSconfig .exe
    Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    I fixed it! Once I determined that msconfig.exe was indeed in the correct pchealth/binaries folder, then I just had to change the path in the registry which required an additional string which when I completed it WORKED~!! So mystery solved. I just happened to run it when responding to the Malwarebytes thread and discovered the error message. So alot of digging and perseverence but it got done

Hey Jude

Thanks
    If you're interested, why not give Mark Russinovich's Autoruns a try? Considerably more geeky information under many more categories (the 'Logon' tab is usually good enough for regular use), and, yes, an expandable window! Mark probably knows more about Windows than most of the other Microsoft staff...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, I think that WhatInStartup is an excellent middle-ground program and I use it frequently. It's MUCH better than MSCONFIG and a lot less "geeky" than Autoruns.

One of the nice things about it is the "Permanent Disable" option for those pesky programs that we all know about which add themselves every time you update them anew:

WhatInStartup also supports a special "Permanent Disabling" feature - If a program that you previously disabled
    added itself again to the startup list of Windows, WhatInStartup will automatically detect the change and disable it again.

Thanks
    Just downloaded WhatinStartup. Will give it a try, thanks. Autoruns looks to geeky this early in the morning. Perhaps when I wake up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Also, I think that WhatInStartup is an excellent middle-ground program and I use it frequently. It's MUCH better than MSCONFIG and a lot less "geeky" than Autoruns.

One of the nice things about it is the "Permanent Disable" option for those pesky programs that we all know about which add themselves every time you update them anew:

WhatInStartup also supports a special "Permanent Disabling" feature - If a program that you previously disabled
    added itself again to the startup list of Windows, WhatInStartup will automatically detect the change and disable it again.
    That is basically what I like about WinPatrol that I use. I hadn't ever really used msconfig since using WinPatrol so I was curious and when it brought up the error, well I just had to fix it. Took a little digging, but I got 'er done I will check your WhatinStartup out though just to see what is different about it than WinPatrol. in WP Scotty the dog, "woofs" whenever a change is detected and it's great!

Sorry I finally couldn't see straight any more so went to bed Thanks for the comeback.

Hey Jude