Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Brrrrr...

  1. #1
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Many of us "warm blooded" Kentuckians, especially ol' buzzards like me don't like this stuff. I know, you folks "up North" on both sides of the border will snicker, but even my ol' knees have a problem bending when it gets this cold.

    From The Weather Channel:

    [attachment=87471:2010-01-03_072925.png]

    Edited: Just to check what I said, I looked at Toronto and Anchorage which both have "warmer" temps than Lexington!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    642
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    but even my ol' knees have a problem bending when it gets this cold.
    Ah suck it up ol' timer. Twas -28C (wind chill) when walking the dog this morning in Pickering (east of Toronto).

    As fer de knees... git out de WD40!!!
    Regards,
    Bob

  3. #3
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I fergot about my can of WD40. It's in the (detached) garage. Do you suppose it still works?

    The sun has come out and it has "warmed up" to only -12C (-17C wind chill). Things're lookin' up... But I'll wear my parka instead of my ski jacket today!

  4. #4
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm curious about the creeping metrification of America. Temperatures in Celsius, no less. How long has this been going on?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,413
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I'm curious about the creeping metrification of America. Temperatures in Celsius, no less. How long has this been going on?
    The sooner a proper standard is adopted world-wide, the better! In the UK, we have half-metricated... Some units are the original imperial, some have become metric. For petrol consumption in my car, I work in miles per litre.
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  6. #6
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The pressure here is in kiloPascals, but we have the same temperature as you without the wind-chill, so you are much colder, and presumably unprepared for it. I hope your racehorses get through it all right. Nothing brings people together like complaining about the weather.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Sorry Al, but up here in the Northwest we are having a balmy 43 degrees F.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  8. #8
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    ... I hope your racehorses get through it all right. Nothing brings people together like complaining about the weather.
    The horses and cattle don't bat an eyelash over it, but most of us cranky humanoids can't stand the cold. But then again, we complain in the heat of the summer, so Mother Nature can't win!

    I'm curious about the creeping metrification of America. Temperatures in Celsius, no less. How long has this been going on?
    It's not yet the "popular" thing to do. I try to force myself whenever I can... especially here in an "international" gathering such as this.

  9. #9
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    10,550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    The sooner a proper standard is adopted world-wide, the better! In the UK, we have half-metricated... Some units are the original imperial, some have become metric. For petrol consumption in my car, I work in miles per litre.
    My favourite unit for fuel consumption is the inverse square meter.

    This came from a letter to the New Scientist a year or two ago. Since fuel consumption is normally expressed as distance per volume you can cancel out the distance and you are left with inverse area. This tells you the cross sectional area of an infinitely long fuel pipe that you could drive along.

    Edited by StuartR to add a worked example
    So my car does about 32 miles per gallon
    32 miles = 51,500 meters
    1 gallon = 0.00455 cubic meters
    so my fuel consumption is
    (51500 / 0.00455) / 1000 * 1000 (to convert to sq millimeters)
    11.3 square millimeters
    So my car could drive along a pipe with a cross section of just over 11 square mm.

    I probably have the decimal point totally screwed up, but hopefully you get the point.

  10. #10
    Uranium Lounger viking33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Many of us "warm blooded" Kentuckians, especially ol' buzzards like me don't like this stuff. I know, you folks "up North" on both sides of the border will snicker, but even my ol' knees have a problem bending when it gets this cold.

    From The Weather Channel:

    [attachment=87471:2010-01-03_072925.png]

    Edited: Just to check what I said, I looked at Toronto and Anchorage which both have "warmer" temps than Lexington!
    What's with this -14C stuff? Or are you afraid the F part will be deleted by the bad word filter? [attachment=87477:toilet.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif


    Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

  11. #11
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    ... are you afraid the F part will be deleted by the bad word filter?
    Hmmm, hadn't thought about that one but it's a dis-stinky possibility!

    No, for the truth see this post. Just trying (every once in awhile) to be metric.

  12. #12
    5 Star Lounger PaulB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    What's with this -14C stuff?
    He's just trying to make it sound colder than the +7F that it actually is! Al, yer a wimp! (sez he, as he stares at all the snow that has fallen in the driveway overnight and dreading stepping out into the cold biting wind howling around the house to shovel it away and realizing that as soon as he completes the task and is back in the house warming himself in the glow of the fireplace, the snow plow will pass depositing twice the volume of snow at the end of the driveway necessitating a return trip to the great outdoors).
    Regards,
    PaulB

  13. #13
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    ... sez he, as he stares at all the snow that has fallen in the driveway overnight and dreading stepping out into the cold biting wind howling around the house to shovel it away ...
    When I was much younger, in better physical shape and we lived in Colorado and New Jersey where it snowed a LOT more than it does here, I owned a snow blower - a BIG one at that! And yeah, I used to cuss the snow plows too for that very same "offense."


  14. #14
    5 Star Lounger PaulB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    And yeah, I used to cuss the snow plows too for that very same "offense."
    Snow plows are an unfortunate fact of life in the snow belt. It's that maniacal grin on the driver's face as he passes by that really gets my goat!
    Regards,
    PaulB

  15. #15
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canary Islands (Spain)
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh, ye Gods, will I get lynched if I say that I've been out sunbathing today, in heat of 46F.
    Economical to run but not cheap to acquire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •