Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am thinking of installing Microsoft Security Essentials and am seeking members opinions of it.
    Is it a good product? Is it effective? Is it easy to live with? Is it reliable etc?
    Also is there any alternatives that may prove to be better?

Curently running Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

D.

Thanks
    I have been using MSE on 6 different PC's, both laptops and desktops with great results. It is very inobtrusive and runs in the background without causing problems. When I first installed it on a couple of the PC's at my daughters house it found malware that Avast and Spybot and even Malware Bytes did not see. And the price is exceptional. And at this time I do not see MS asking for subscription renewal. so what's not to like.

Try it, if you're like me you will love it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Price View Post
    I am thinking of installing Microsoft Security Essentials and am seeking members opinions of it.
    Is it a good product? Is it effective? Is it easy to live with? Is it reliable etc?

Thanks in advance.

D.
    You will probably be OK using it on Win7.
    I've sampled it on my Xp, Vista and Win7RC ( still haven't gone to Win7 gold yet ) partitions. Except for XP it seems to be OK. Very basic but OK.
    I have deleted it on my XP partition after MANY unsolvable clashes on my particular system. This after many hours of work with MS support and R&D tech sessions.
    It pains me to think about it!
    So, give it a try. You can always replace it.

(BTW, your user pic isn't a copy of the hero pilot Sullenberger(sp) who crashed into the Hudson River is it? If it is you, you can stand in for him or vise versa anytime? )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Hmmmm... Two of the PC's I installed MSE on were desktops with XP SP3 and IE8. Working great on both. The others were 3 newer laptops (Sony Vaio) and a Dell XPS desktop. My laptop has Win 7 Ultimate, my wife and daughter's laptops have Win 7 Home Premium (HP). The XPS started with XP to Vista to Win 7 RC to Win 7 Gold (RTM) HP All 3 laptops started as Vista. Mine went from Vista to dual boot Vista/Win 7 RC to Win 7 Ultimate (got rid of dual boot vista). The other 2 went from Vista to Win 7 RC to Win 7 Gold (HP). All these various combinations of hardware and software have MSE with absolutely no problems. Thank you MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Hmmmm... Two of the PC's I installed MSE on were desktops with XP SP3 and IE8. Working great on both. The others were 3 newer laptops (Sony Vaio) and a Dell XPS desktop. My laptop has Win 7 Ultimate, my wife and daughter's laptops have Win 7 Home Premium (HP). The XPS started with XP to Vista to Win 7 RC to Win 7 Gold (RTM) HP All 3 laptops started as Vista. Mine went from Vista to dual boot Vista/Win 7 RC to Win 7 Ultimate (got rid of dual boot vista). The other 2 went from Vista to Win 7 RC to Win 7 Gold (HP). All these various combinations of hardware and software have MSE with absolutely no problems. Thank you MS.
    You'll note I said: "on my particular system" So......I have one that doesn't like MSE.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Touche!!! I did miss that, sorry. I guess it boils down to "Try it and see if it works, if not dump it". I would recommendd a good uninstaller that finds all the stuff left behind. I use Revo Uninstaller with great success: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Touche!!! I did miss that, sorry. I guess it boils down to "Try it and see if it works, if not dump it". I would recommendd a good uninstaller that finds all the stuff left behind. I use Revo Uninstaller with great success: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html
    Yeah, been using Revo since it first came out. One of the best and most thourough uninstallers.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Price View Post

Thanks in advance.

D.
    I've been running it for a little under a month now with Windows 7, 64 bit version and I am fairly impressed with it's
    low memory and resourse foot print. It's detection rates are reasonably comparable to other major venders.
    I haven't had any problems with the installation or issues with it's use thus far.

I don't like antivirus software running constantly in the background and never have, so this has been the very first exception
    for me.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I don't like antivirus software running constantly in the background and never have, so this has been the very first exception
    for me.
    Better take another look here, Clint: Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

This quote from that page:

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background
    so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you wantó
    without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Thanks
    My point exactly, it runs in the background without hardly any ill performance notice.
    In the past 10 years of using various antivirus programs, MSE appears to be the smoothest
    in terms of memory and resourses. Norton was one of the worst imo.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Heck, except when it pops up a reminder that you should scan your system periodicall, I think once per week, or if it detects a virus or malware, you never know it's there protecting you. I used to use Avast for all my PC's, but when I switched to MSE, it found malware on my PC's that Avast did not see. And I periodically scan with Spybot and MalWare Bytes.

I confidently recommend MSE!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's another endorsement for MSE. I've used it on my win7 64 bit machine with no problem. I like the fact that it doesn't have any annoying pop up screens like all the other free AV progs. Runs silently in the background without being a resource hog like the big brand names.

I just deleted Avast from my Vista laptop and installed MSE, so far so good.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for MSE -so far - with some observations below...

I've been using it for just over a month and the jury's still out on it as far as I'm concerned. I've recieved two popups so far. Both times they were not warnings, rather, queries about that particular file and how it has not yet being catagorized(or somthing like that). One of them was the Google updater...seemed odd, where I had been running MSE for just over a month(several scans) and it just now "caught" that file. The other file I can understand. It hasn't detected anything for me yet, but I guess that's a good thing. It does play nice with my system, XP SP3.
    What I don't like about, though, is the UI. It's a little "lite" for me. For instance, I can't tell wether or not the scan I have scheduled (1am on Sunday's) has ever run. I wish there was a simple log file to show you the history of scans, just like the one showing you what has been detected so far...at least a splash screen at the end of a scan telling you that Nothing was detected during this scan. I don't think that this would place a significant drain on any one's system resources.

I came from AVG, where I had very good luck with it detecting all different kinds of nasties in my emails...I'll be holding on to that license number for now.
    Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it's a great tool. Especially since it comes from the Bill guy and it's still free.
    On the mpcdrivers.com site, I am constantly downloading files, drivers, updates, and such to add to the
    website database. Obviously I can't upload anything until I'm sure it's secure.
    I update security essentials daily, and do the same with malwarebytes.
    Every single file I get, whether its a dll, exe, or a pdf service manual gets run through both progams. Once when
    I first download it, and once again before I upload to the website. Both take under 10 seconds even for a large
    exe file.

One really nice feature is that most end-users look at an exe file as one single file. Security essentials
    reads every individual file withing the exe file and tells you how many it checked at the end of the process.
    Let's hope they continue it's development and keep it free.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using MSE for a month or so, replacing Kaspersky and I am quite happy with the performance and the speed increase over KAV.My machine is 6 years old, win XP pro SP3,Pentium 4 2ghz, 1 gb RAM.
    What I have noticed however every so often is a very high 85-90% CPU use as well as simultaneously a complete slowdown of icons display (generic icons shows up first and very slowly the real icons start being shown very slowly one by one) when opening certain large folders containing a variety of files (.exe .zip .msi etc...).I noticed on google and others, that quite a few people seem to have this problem.This does not happen when I open Win Explorer normally but only when I use a link to open the folder.
    I finally solved it by opening explorer , then TOOLS then FOLDER OPTIONS. Once the folder option window opens, select VIEW . in the ADVANCED SETTINGS section, scroll down to HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS . The last option in that section is :LAUNCH FOLDER WINDOWS IN A SEPARATE PROCESS . If it is checked on then UNCHECK it and that should solve that problem.
    While I am not that sure ,I believe that selecting that option uses RAM to open the folder rather than using the cache and that MSE at that point decides do scan every file in the newly opened folder resulting in the high CPU use and the hogging (momentarily) of resources therefore complete slowdown until the scan is over, which if the folder contains a lot of zip and exe files could go on for quite a while.
    I'd be interested to know if this solution works for anyone else and whether it also applies to Vista and Win7.
    In any case I hope it can help someone
    Henri

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast