New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys, and happy new year.

I have w7 Home Premium on a Dell Vostro 220 dual core with 2GB RAM and lotsa HDD. It runs Aero just fine.

I want to use Win2K so I can run some legacy stuff. So I tried using Sun Virtual Box. No luck. It installed and ran W2k, but no matter what I tried, it has remained slower than the proverbial molasses running uphill in January. It was so slow that I gave up.

So can I install w2k as a true dual boot system? How? Which one first, w7 (I hope) or w2k?

All help much appreciated.

Walter Donavan
    Fort Lauderdale

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all, have you tried running your legacy stuff with the Win 2K compatibility mode? (Rt-click on the exe and select properties and "run this in compatiblity mode".

Does your legacy app work with XP? If so you can try the Windows 7 XP mode with your PC. You should get much better performance than the Sunbox. Check out the page here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

I haven't tried this, but you can see how to add XP to a Windows 7 installation here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-7-xp.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Brad.

I appreciate your reply. Howsomeever:

1. I've tried w2k compatibility mode and no cigar. These old pgms won't run under w7 in any mode. Believe me I've tried.

2. XP compatibility mode requires a higher grade of Win 7 than I've got. I think it hs other requirements I couldn't meet, too. I researched it carefully. And there's no guarantee this old stuff would run under XP anyway.

3. You didn't mention it, but MSFT's virtual machine requires h/w I don't got and can't get. I'd have to get an entirely new computer.

So I return to my original questions: can I get w2k installed as an honest dual boot system under w7? If so, how?

Walter Donavan
    Fort Lauderdale

Thanks
    You should be able to use the disk manager to create a second partition. Once you do you will have to format the second partition. After that you should be able to boot from your Win 2000 media and install in the second partition you created.

Open computer management then choose disk management or simply type diskmgmt.msc in the search box and hit enter. Disk Management console should open. Right click on the main partition and choose Shrink. Select an amount large enough to work with. 20 or 30 gb should be sufficient. Then select the unallocated space and format it. This will give you a usable partition into which to install your Win 2000. Insert the win 2000 media and restart your PC. You will get an option to hit any key to boot from media. Do so and follow direction.

I don't believe I left any steps out. If so someone will let us know.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by walter donavan View Post
    ...... my original questions: can I get w2k installed as an honest dual boot system under w7?......
    The classic method is to install the older OS first. I have heard of folks who have had serious problems installing XP on an existing Vista machine.

Make sure that you back up your data, and try installing Win2k as your machine is. The chances are that you will *not* damage your Win7.

If you can't get Win2k working, then you will have to look at going for a formatting of your Hard Drive and a complete clean install. Make sure first, however, that you have a "proper" install disk from Dell - not just a restore image. A restore image would wipe any existing Win2k OS.

Hope This Helps
    Grüße

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The advise given by Ted is very good. If you have a problem with older or newer install first or second, it should be possible to go into the bios and change the hard disk boot order to select which is to be first choice.
    This may not work with partitions but worth a look.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.