New Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife bought a computer with Windows Vista. the store owner configured her machine using her natural language, Portuguese. I am now trying to upgrade her to Windows 7, but cannot change the language to English, so I can understand. I changed the regional setting to English, but that had no effect on the first step I did, which was to download with Windows 7 upgrade advisor. The program is displayed in Portuguese. Is there a way for me to change the language so as to understand the displays?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al A View Post
    My wife bought a computer with Windows Vista. the store owner configured her machine using her natural language, Portuguese. I am now trying to upgrade her to Windows 7, but cannot change the language to English, so I can understand. I changed the regional setting to English, but that had no effect on the first step I did, which was to download with Windows 7 upgrade advisor. The program is displayed in Portuguese. Is there a way for me to change the language so as to understand the displays?
    Open Regional and Language Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Regional and Language Options.

Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

Hope this helps

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's basically what I did. I believe those are input settings. My problem is output. Even though I have all the settings as English, all the output is in Portuguese.

Thanks
    That's basically what I did. I believe those are input settings. My problem is output. Even though I have all the settings as English, all the output is in Portuguese.
    I'm not 100% sure of this but I think you are stuck with the Portuguese version using an upgrade, not a full version of Win 7.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure of this but I think you are stuck with the Portuguese version using an upgrade, not a full version of Win 7.
    I found this Upgrade from Portuguese to Win 7 doing clean install

Hey Jude

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    Yes but the last post in that thread you linked to said:
    "I called the Microsoft support and they told me that it's not possible. Now I'm confused. I tried also to ask different stores, and I have completely different opinions, some saying it's possible others saying it isn't. Now I'm not sure whether to buy Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade or not, without being sure I can do clean installs on top of a Vista installation (I mean, cleaning the Vista "trash")."

[attachment=87483:confused.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Yes but the last post in that thread you linked to said:
    "I called the Microsoft support and they told me that it's not possible. Now I'm confused. I tried also to ask different stores, and I have completely different opinions, some saying it's possible others saying it isn't. Now I'm not sure whether to buy Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade or not, without being sure I can do clean installs on top of a Vista installation (I mean, cleaning the Vista "trash")."

[attachment=87483:confused.gif]
    That is correct. However, the forum topic at the top says, "Microsoft Answers" and shows this as well
    # Proposed As Answer byTrekDozer Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:20 AM
    # Marked As Answer byRonnie VernonMVP, ModeratorWednesday, November 04, 2009 9:59 AM

If you click on Ronnie Vernon MVP you will notice he is a Microsoft Partner so that is what I was going by. My
    presumption was if it was a false answer, then he should have negated it. Conversely, he also should have responded to what you quoted above. Here
    are some of TrekDozer's threads which I looked at prior to posting and he/she seems to know the ins/outs of Microsoft. Both Ronnie and TrekDozer both have 5 medals under their thread names.

It was intended to provide another opinion.

Hey Jude

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, but she still wants the machine

Thanks
    thanks, but she still wants the machine
    Is it possible to have your wife translate for you? Your wife is already using the Vista machine which you want to upgrade to 7 correct?

What brand of laptop is it?

Check this out as the screen shots are just like I saw when I did my clean install on my Toshiba Vista laptop. Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows 7 Clean Install

On Thurrott's site the 3rd image for installing Win 7 tells you which language to install so if you can get to that screen I think your troubles would be over. I for one would go for it. I also wonder if there is another computer that you could use to download the Upgrade Advisor file in english at a local library. You can put it on a flash drive and at least be able to view it in english. Take the laptop with you and put it side by side for comparison. Are you typing on the Portuguese laptop?

I used this one too Clean Install Windows 7

Hey Jude