Results 1 to 2 of 2
2001-09-20, 04:03 #1beanwerksGuest
fixing my "new office document" template (windows 98)
When I try to open a blank office document, I get the same "document 2" that I must then highlight and delete in order to get a blank page. How can I set the template to where it should be so I can get a blank page when starting a new document. Thanks, Bob.
2001-09-20, 04:14 #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2000
- Los Angeles Area, California, USA
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: fixing my "new office document" template (windows 98)
It sounds like at some point in the past, you saved a document as normal.dot. I'm not sure what you get when you first start Word. Try this:
1. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
2. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
3. Type normal.dot in the "named" box & search.
4. When you find normal.dot, rename it (select it & press F2) to e.g. normal.old
The other thing you should do is:
1. Close Word
2. Bring up Find again & search for: *.tmp;~*.do?;~*.wbk
3. Select & delete all these files.
Now restart Word, which will recreate normal.dot & you should get a blank document. If this doesn't work, you may have a virus, which has saved a document as a template. I would virus check everything on my hard drive.
Hope this helps.