2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All,

I have an Hp pavilion w/ an updated version of windows 7 premium from vista. Now the system locks up at random times and when we try to shut down the system it comes back w/ explorer.exe is playing shut down sound. and we must force the system to shut down. If I try to choose cancel it will not accept the response and only allows forced shutdown. Has anyone else experienced this and have any resolution to the problem???

thanks in advance for all your help,
    cvbs

Thanks
    I'm afraid this may be another one of those strange problems that has come from updating rather than clean install. It sounds as though this was the route you took. If so a clean install may be in order. Insert the Win 7 DVD and boot from it, choose custom and install directly over your original. You will still have access to most of you data in a folder called windows.old You can open this folder and drag everything you need to your new OS. You can even use the Easy Transfer to transfer you settings to the new OS. Unfortunately you will have to reload all your programs, but this sometimes is not a bad thing because you can weed out those you never use anyway. Good Luck!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes System File Checker fixes this issue. sfc /scannow in the cmmand window.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe .... Thanks for the thought on sfc ....ran it and it showed nothing .... good, yes, .... however it means I may have to follow through on "Todd's" answer and do full custom re-install. If either of you, (or anyone else who is reading this) - have any other suggestions PLEASE let me know,
    later,
    cvbs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Between shutdowns do any of the users use "Switch User"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yes this does occur...however not always ... and this did not happen while we had vista running only started after the upgrade to win 7???

Thanks
    I do not know of any easy way to clean out leftover "stuff" after an upgrade. Some people have good luck with this, but it's usually on pristine PCs. The larger majority that take the upgrade route have some strange problems, slowdowns, etc. In past times the "experts" all agreed that clean installs every year or so were good things. Fred Langa in past years talked about this in his newsletter. With new OS's if they are routinely keep clean, and you are proactive in updates for your software, may not need an annual clean install, but when changing OS's this is always good practice for the majority of users.

In past years Fred showed a Cleanup.bat file he used to clean out temp files, etc. You might find articles about this by searching for old newsletters from Fred.

I wish I had better suggestions, other than a clean install, sorry
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Come on guys! The solution to a problem is not to throw everything out and start all over. Determine the cause and fix it!

You should be able to determine which program is causing the hang by looking at your event log.

Thanks
    Upgrade installations are more often than not, problematic.
    The advice you will get on many, if not all tech forums, and probably the best advice is to go back and do a clean install.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having this problem and I have traced it to my video card and/or video driver. I have tried different driver versions to no avail. I can only operate in the safe mode without freezing. The video card meets Windows 7 requirements. I will try another video card and see what that brings.
    [size="4"]Carl S[/size]
    Old Soldier

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CVBS

I would urge you to go to the HP Forums and search lock-ups. You should find may others with the same problem and a variety of solutions depending on the specifics of hardware and software.