Thread: WMP Won't Play

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an eMachines tower running XP Home SP3. Until a month or so ago, Windows Media Player ran just fine. It suddenly stopped working. When this first happened, I would double-click an MP3, and WMP appeared to want to run--it initialized something--but nothing else would happen. I have changed the MP3 file association to run MP3s with the Quick Time Player, which works okay, but I'd really like to get WMP back.

MP3 files still display with WMP icons, even though MP3s are associated with and automatically play with QTP.

I have tried to reinstall WMP from the original XP CD. The installation went without a hiccup, but WMP still refuses to work. Help?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I'm not sure what version was supplied with XP, but the latest version (WMP 11) is available here. You might want to give this a try and see if it resolves the problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Crowther View Post
    I have an eMachines tower running XP Home SP3. Until a month or so ago, Windows Media Player ran just fine. It suddenly stopped working. When this first happened, I would double-click an MP3, and WMP appeared to want to run--it initialized something--but nothing else would happen. I have changed the MP3 file association to run MP3s with the Quick Time Player, which works okay, but I'd really like to get WMP back.

MP3 files still display with WMP icons, even though MP3s are associated with and automatically play with QTP.

I have tried to reinstall WMP from the original XP CD. The installation went without a hiccup, but WMP still refuses to work. Help?
    Have you tried to go to Control Panel>Add\Remove programs>Set Program Access & Defaults. Check WMP
    [attachment=87517:Capture1-5-2010-1.47.56 PM.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!