Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running into a problem Microsoft has been unable to resolve. I have a Dell Optiplex 745, 2.66Ghz processor with 2GB of ram. I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 using the Microsoft drivers. The box comes up fine, but apps freeze randomly. When it happens the Title bar shows "(Not Responding)" for some period of time. If I wait, the system returns to running normally. There has never been any type of error message other than the Title Bar showing (Not Responding). I've opened an insident with Microsoft and after escalation, they way they are unable to find any problems or solutions. I've contacted Dell and gotten the "we do not have Windows 7 specific drivers for that model" answer.

I did download the Vista 32 bit and 64 bit drivers from Dell, and I've also downloaded the Intel drivers for the chipset. I've tried both sets of 32 bit drivers, installing each set after a clean install of the OS. I've also tried a clean install of the 64bit OS and Dell 64 bit drivers. The problem remains, allthough I did see some improvement using the 32 bit Dell drivers. I have run the extended hardware tests from Dell. They completed with no errors. The problem exists with I do a "clean boot" running only Microsoft processes. It also exists when running in Safe Mode.

I started checking stats in Performance Monitor to see if I could tell where the hang up was. The only thing I've been able toMemory Page Faults find is both the Process Page Faults/sec and Memory Page Faults/sec both look like saw teeth. Pretty much a constant up and down. I've seen fault counts as high a 51 million after 4-5 hours.

At this point I'm scratching my head, and run out of ideas. I would be interested if anyone has any other ideas to try to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
    Walt

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You might try booting with your Windows 7 installation DVD and in the Repair Console, run the "Memory Diagnosis" test to see if you might have a bad stick of RAM.

What antivirus program do you have installed? (make and version) Just an outside possibility with this one but definitely worth asking.

Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    Are there specific apps that show as "not responding" (and if so, what are they), or are they random apps with no particular pattern to this behaviour?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is totally random. I've had it happen when I try and open Applications in Event Viewer, clicking on a link in IE, opening a folder win Windows Explorer, during the installation of MS Office 2007, when I try to expand a device type in Device Manager, pretty much anything I do will potentially cause the freeze. I've had it happen with nothing but the base OS loaded. As for the memory, I've run both the Dell spupplied quick memory test and the extensive memory test. Both tests showed no errors.

Thanks
    If it's totally random then, I don't know what to suggest. Have you performed a complete virus and malware scan?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I realise it's a bit late for it now, but did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before installing Windows 7?

It may refuse to run on your install, but if it does, it could highlight what the bottleneck is.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes to all suggestions. I did run the Upgrade Advisor and it reported the system is 32 bit and 64 bit compatible. The Gaming graphics isn't the best, but then I don't do any gaming so it really doesn't matter to me. I have run Avira AntiVir, Spy Sweeper, and HiJackThis without finding anything.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't do anything but sympathize with you. I, also, experienced random hangs with a return to normal after a few minutes to many minutes of waiting. One of my gadgets on the desktop shows CPU usage. I have a quad core processor and the gadget would show one of the cores maxed out to 100% when this happened. After a month or so of checking for various updates for software, apparently one of the updates did the trick, and the problem has disappeared. I never could determine the offending startup program.

Thanks
    Have you considered tinkering in the "services" section?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am currently using the "safe" service settings on Charles "Black Viper" Sparks' Black Viper site. http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm I highly recommend this site for tweaking services. I've used it for years and it's a fantastic, reliable source of information. This has improved the situation some.

m82a1pa, I'd be very interested to know what update did the trick for you, if you happen to remember. I'd also like to get acknowledgements from other readers and forum members that this is happening to their systems as well. I'm beginning to think this is a much more common problem with Windows 7 that any of us realize.

Thanks for all the help and input.
    Walt

Thanks
    Walt,one of the first troubleshooting steps I'd use is checking Task Scheduler and disabling all tasks there.

Anything in the Event viewers?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Leonard View Post
    m82a1pa, I'd be very interested to know what update did the trick for you, if you happen to remember. I'd also like to get acknowledgements from other readers and forum members that this is happening to their systems as well. I'm beginning to think this is a much more common problem with Windows 7 that any of us realize.
    Unfortunately, I'd wait a week or two, then check the vendors sites for updates, installing all I found at the same time. It may have been one of the following software packages: DVDFab, Hauppage WinTV, O&O DiskImage or the drivers for my fingerprint reader. I also installed a number of HP Windows 7 updates for my m9517c machine, which came out after their initial offering. Sorry I can't be more specific.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI. I'm also looking at a number of post on the http://www.sevenforums.com site. It looks like I'm correct in that the problem is wider than we realize.

Thanks M82a1pa for your quick response!

I've also found this registry hack. Not sure if it will help, so please remember to backup your registry prior to trying it.

The problem is probably due to optimization to increase PC shutdown speed and decrease time required to shut down the computer. The change can be used by Windows optimization utility or technical user who modifies the registry manually. When the setting is changed, Windows 7 may encounter lack of buffer time or other slowness.
    To fix the screen flashing issue, follow steps below.
    Run Registry Editor, and then delete the following registry keys:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\HungAppTimeOut
    *HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillAppTimeOut
    *HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\HungAppTimeOut
    *HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillAppTimeOut
    *HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillServiceTimeOut
    Restart the computer after deletion, and the screen flashing issue on Windows 7 should be fixed.

Thanks
    [When it happens the Title bar shows "(Not Responding)" for some period of time. If I wait, the system returns to running normally.]

Could this be an issue that 2 GB RAM may be overloaded and page file is working hard to keep up, and since page file is generally slower than RAM the system can't respond as quickly as we would like and when a file is waiting for something to finish, if you manually do anything you can get the (Not Responding) statement in the title bar until everything catches up, then the file begins responding again.

I hope I explained my thought so you can understand. If this is indeed the problem, adding RAM may solve it. Just a random thought. Perhaps my brain RAM is being overloaded.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Walt you might look at my post Windows XP to Windows7 Ultimate. I too was having a similar problem with my HP Pavilion laptop which like your Dell is capable of either 64 or 32. You will see what I did and it worked beautifully. I then added 2GB Ready Boost, and this thing is really fast and no hangs at all. Graphics arent the greatest (2.6), but then Im not a gamer either so I dont really care.
    One word of caution though is that my laptop said right on it that it is Vista Capable. Had that not been on there I doubt seriously I would have done what I did.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast