4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all....I have a coumn of data. I want to set up a Data Validation warning if one of those numbers is a duplicate of another. I am attaching a small sample; in column B, in rows 2-4 (yellow), I have tried to do it using a MATCH formula. In rows 5-7, I tried to do it using an IF formula....in either case, it always returns the Warning. As well, when entering the custom formula in the Data Validation, i have to do it cell-by-cell because it doesn't seem to change the first variable (B2 or B3 etc) automatically....ie: if I shade the entire column B and enter the Custom formula in Data Validation, it all relates to B2...........any ideas of wht I am missing? Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Select B2:B7, then use this formula in the Data Validation settings:
    =COUNTIF($B$2:$B2,$B2)=1
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ....hi Rory...I don't understand your suggestion, b/c it puts the formula you suggested into each cell in column B, and only seems to relate B2 to the range (if that makes sense...it only compares B2 with other data in column B, even if I enter data in B3 or B4 or B5 etc etc

I am looking for a formula in each cell (using Data Validation) that will check data entered into a cell in column B against all other existing data in column B and if there is a match, it will pop up the Data Validation warning...if there is no match (ie: if the data is unique) then the Data Validation warning pop-up does not appear.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Formula provided by rory will do the trick. Pl see the attached. The only drawback is it will not validate the data backward.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    Prasad

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Prasad....but surely there is a MATCH formula that can validate backward, and check the entire column?...or maybe I need a 'worksheet change event' type of formula?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm assuming by "validate backwards" you mean that if you change a previously entered value such as B3 and it matches B5, you want the validation to fire. If that's the case, define the entire range. Rory's formula could be changed to: =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$7,$B2) or =COUNTIF($B:$B,$B2)=1 for the entire column