Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello everyone,
    E-mail me
    I'm not sure this post belongs here.

My computer is using Windows XP Home with service pack 3 installed. I have installed all the updates and security patches.

I recently installed Adobe Flash Version 10.0.42.34. I verified this on the Abobe version checker. I also checked the version through the properties tab on the adobe .ocx file as well as with other installed software that provides version numbers.

When I go to the add-ons manager it says I have Adobe Flash Version 10.0.22.87. I uninstalled the older version I had on my computer (the previous version newer than the version shown in the add-ons manager) with the adobe flash remover. I rebooted twice, installed the latest version, rebooted and then did the above checks to determine if the update had been installed.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution

Thanks

raiderfan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
    When I go to the add-ons manager it says I have Adobe Flash Version 10.0.22.87. I uninstalled the older version I had on my computer (the previous version newer than the version shown in the add-ons manager) with the adobe flash remover. I rebooted twice, installed the latest version, rebooted and then did the above checks to determine if the update had been installed.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution
    Did you use the most recent Flash uninstaller and follow the steps at How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control?

When you re-boot after the uninstall start IE and make sure there is no Flash object left. Then try the install.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Did you use the most recent Flash uninstaller and follow the steps at How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control?

When you re-boot after the uninstall start IE and make sure there is no Flash object left. Then try the install.

Joe
    I used to use Secunia to alert me when I needed to update Flash etc. I knew enough to manually remove previous Flash and Sun versions before installing the new or you wouldn't be able to uninstall them later. This is a great link Joe because you can no longer uninstall them manually. I bookmarked this

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JoeP, Hi Hey Jude,

I forgot to mention that I am using IE 8. I don't know if there might be a problem particular to that version of IE.

I did use the flash uninstaller and rebooted. However, I did not check the IE add-ons manager to determine if the flash object was still there.

I will check that the next time Adobe updates Flash Player. If the "older" flsah object version still exists should I run the uninstaller again or is there some other method to ensure removal?

Thanks

raiderfan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I did use the flash uninstaller and rebooted. However, I did not check the IE add-ons manager to determine if the flash object was still there.

I will check that the next time Adobe updates Flash Player. If the "older" flsah object version still exists should I run the uninstaller again or is there some other method to ensure removal?
    According to the Adobe support document you should run their uninstaller again.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JoeP, Hi Hey Jude,

I forgot to mention that I am using IE 8. I don't know if there might be a problem particular to that version of IE.

Thanks

raiderfan
    I use Secunia PSI. After un-installing and then updating Flash, Secunia kept insisting it was still insecure. I then went to the file location using Windows Explorer (if you are using Secunia, clicking the folder icon on their page will take you there). If not, use Windows Explorer and navigate to: WINDOWS >system 32> Macromed(ia) and expand the folder, then click on the Flash folder. In the right pane, look for the ActiveX Controls (the latest one is Flash 10e.ocx). If there is more than one control, you can then manually delete the older one, which I had to do on the last update after trying their un-installer three times.

Worked for me on the last two updates.
    Good luck.