Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Printing Non-contiguous columns/rows (2000)

I am sure someone knows how to print columns/rows that are non-contiguous (i. e., not side-by-side) without having to resort to VBA or hiding the columns/rows before printing. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing Non-contiguous columns/rows (2000)

AFAIK that is impossible without hiding or VBA.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Select the areas you wish to be printed (i.e. select a range and then holding down the CTRL button select other areas / columns / rows). Then do FILE - PRINT AREA - SET PRINT AREA.

Heaven save me!! I think I've just been useful to someone else rather than nagging the board with my own problems

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, if the print area in non-continuous, then Excel prints each piece on a separate page. Hiding is the way to go. --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One techinique that I have used is to create a new sheet with links to the areas that you want to print, then print that sheet. Takes a while to set up, but once it is set up you can use it over and over again.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This is similar to Legare's solution.

Insert a new sheet. Copy the first range, select a cell in the new sheet and hold down shift whilst selecting edit from the menus. This will then show a new menu item that is usually hidden called "Paste Picture Link". This option creates a picture of the original data including all of the formatting options and is automatically updated when the original data changes.

Repeat this for the other ranges. Once complete you can easily move theses "pictures" around to produce the output that you require.

Thanks

May I suggest: Custom Views

I am assuming that your difficulty with hidden rows/Columns is the annoyance of hiding and showing them - Takes too long!

Go to the View, Custom Views menu. From here you can add as many views (I've never used more than 4 or 5 myself) as you like. The neat thing about custom views is that they can also contain Print Settings (different headers/Footers, page orientation) Hidden Rows/Columns and Filters.

I start by setting up a "basic" view - just the plain vanilla file. Nothing hidden, filtered etc. I save that view. Then I create subsquent views with their Print Settings, Hidden Columns etc. Saving each in turn.

If I'm working a lot with Custom Views, I'll add the button to my toolbar. It is then really fast to swap views.

I think Custom Views are really nifty, yet they aren't a well-known feature. I've always assumed it was the menu they were under ...

Hope this helps.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Catharine!