4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to back up my pictures to a portable hard drive and then use SynctToy to keep them synchronized. Some files will not synchronize and when I look at the properties for them, I see that the folders that they are in have the Read Only box grayed out. I click on it to clear it, I get a message asking if I want to apply to all sub-folders and files, I click OK but it does not clear the Read Only tag. I have gone through and looked at each file in the folder and none of them are read only.

I'm not sure if this is what is causing the item not to Sync. Is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I forgot to add that I am using Windows XP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Read only wouldn't prevent you from copying the file. I've heard a couple of times that SyncToy won't complete the mission properly but have never seen an explanation. A very good alternative is Syncback free version and I would be surprised if it had problems but if it did there's probably more of an explanation of what the problem might be in the log report generated.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware (free version is about halfway down the page)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    I forgot to add that I am using Windows XP.
    Are you running the most current version of SyncToy - Download details: SyncToy 2.1?

Is XP up-to-date with service packs and monthly patches?

You also might want to check the SyncToy forum at SyncFx - SyncToy-File Synchronization Forum.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    ... I see that the folders that they are in have the Read Only box grayed out ...
    This isn't a solution to your software's problem but (maybe) a bit of info that other XP users will or will not confirm. I believe that ALL folders in XP have a read only property on the folders and it can't be changed. I don't believe it has anything to do with the files IN the folders. One example I have is a self-created folder called "Data Store" (my version of My Documents which I dislike) where I keep a lot of stuff that I generate and I tell all software that will allow it, to save its files there. None of those files is read only but the folder's properties say read only.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    ... None of those files is read only but the folder's properties say read only.
    I think this is because user programs are prevented from writing the directory file. This is a special system file that identifies what files are in that folder. It can only be written by the file system software.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To BigAl,

Technically, the folder is not Read Only, the box is grayed out, not checked.

To JoeP,

I do have the most current versions of both. I am not on the computer that I put SyncToy on, but I will check out the forum.

Finally, I didn't know which forum I should post this to, I am using XP but thought that this might affect more than just XP users, that's why I put it in the General Windows forum. Thanks for getting me in the right spot.