3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have a document that we use to create other documents. The document uses styles, which contain outline numbering. There are also words or phrases that have been highlighted to indicate that the text should be changed.There don't appear to be any macros or VBA modules associated with the document. The document was saved to be opened as Read Only as the default.

When changes are made to the document, especially within the outlining, it appears that Track Changes is on, but the TRK does not display in the status bar. If paragraphs are deleted, the outlining shows with the change in numbers, but the text is gone. If text within a paragraph is deleted, no track change marks are displayed and the text is removed.

I have checked everything that I know in Word 2003. Has anyone seen this kind of tracking of the changes? Can I turn off the tracking?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    TRK not displaying means that the "Track revisions as you edit" mode is off, but it's still possible for the document to contain (older) tracked revisions that might not be set to show, but are somehow interfering with the outline numbering. Have you tried accepting all revisions in the document?

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And I say it's a bug in Word, a very old bug.

Select the problem paragraphs, or even just the paragraph marks at the end of the paragraphs, and "Accept Changes." Not sure this has always cured the problem for me, tho.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Agree with you about it also being an old bug: this used to happen a lot with numbered paragraphs in Word 97, but haven't seen it much since then...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gary. I think that accepting all the changes might have worked, but I will need to have others test it.

This document could date back to Word 97, so it is possible that Track Changes was on when the document was converted for use in Word 2003.

Thanks again.