Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like I used to be able to email just one post to my home for reference, but now it looks like I will have to download the entire thread? Is there a way to confine this action to a single post and I am missing the way to do it, or is it not possible? TIA

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Seems like I used to be able to email just one post to my home for reference, but now it looks like I will have to download the entire thread? Is there a way to confine this action to a single post and I am missing the way to do it, or is it not possible? TIA
    I couldn't find a way to do it with a single click, but here's a three-step way:

Steps 1 & 2:
    [attachment=87540:steps1and2.png]

Step 3: When the email form pops up, delete the link it brings up and paste in the one you copied.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johnston View Post
    I couldn't find a way to do it with a single click, but here's a three-step way:

Steps 1 & 2:
    [attachment=87540:steps1and2.png]

Step 3: When the email form pops up, delete the link it brings up and paste in the one you copied.
    Hi Tony!,
    I'll have to wait until I'm on a PC, as this doesn't seem to work with a MAC. When I right click, I don't get a copy option. I get "open link, copy link, etc. I realize this is a Windows/Office website, but I like to use my MAC laptop when I am kicked back in the easy chair! So I guess for now, when I want to save something while on the MAC, I'll download the whole thread. And when I'm on the PC, I'll use your trick.
    Thanks for your reply.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    ...When I right click, I don't get a copy option. I get "open link, copy link, etc. ...
    Copy Link should do what is needed

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tony!,
    I'll have to wait until I'm on a PC, as this doesn't seem to work with a MAC. When I right click, I don't get a copy option. I get "open link, copy link, etc. I realize this is a Windows/Office website, but I like to use my MAC laptop when I am kicked back in the easy chair! So I guess for now, when I want to save something while on the MAC, I'll download the whole thread. And when I'm on the PC, I'll use your trick.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Hi Skitterbug!

I actually made that post from a Mac (ironically, making sure to remove as much of the browser chrome as possible so as not to inject any unnecessary drama into the topic). I use a Mac in the office for all of my development needs and jump over to my PC when I have to manage the Windows network or check browser compatibility. As a result, I was not exactly sure what the wording in the right click menu on a PC was, so I just used the word "copy." What I meant to say was "1. Right click, copy the link url". The point being that the little #18 (or whatever) to the right of a post's title is a permalink to that post.

But, yes, "copy link" is the correct menu item to choose on a Mac.

Regards,
    Tony

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Skitterbug!

I actually made that post from a Mac (ironically, making sure to remove as much of the browser chrome as possible so as not to inject any unnecessary drama into the topic). I use a Mac in the office for all of my development needs and jump over to my PC when I have to manage the Windows network or check browser compatibility. As a result, I was not exactly sure what the wording in the right click menu on a PC was, so I just used the word "copy." What I meant to say was "1. Right click, copy the link url". The point being that the little #18 (or whatever) to the right of a post's title is a permalink to that post.

But, yes, "copy link" is the correct menu item to choose on a Mac.

Regards,
    Tony
    Now it's "my bad"....There isn't an easy way on this MAC, but if I could have made a clip of the pop up menu, it would have shown you what I have for options. In the meantime, here are the choices I get on R/C:
    Open Link in New Window
    Open Link in New Tab
    Bookmark this Link
    Save Link As...
    Send Link...
    Copy Link Location
    Render in…..
    Properties

It is Copy Link Location....I forgot to type in the full command. So I don't see a way to get your suggestion to work on my MAC. When I use Copy Link Location, that's exactly what is sent in the email message that I sent to myself: I thought you might be interested in reading this web page: http://lounge.window...howtopic=770581
    Obviously, I want the complete post, not the link. Oh hum. Maybe I am missing something?

After experimenting with this for a bit, I think the simplest thing for me to archive info while on the MAC, is by highlighting what I want to keep, copy/paste it into a word document and save. Anyway, thanks for dealing with my "minor problem". I appreciate it lots.

Thanks!
    ps: It's nice to know you are a dual O/S person!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is Copy Link Location....I forgot to type in the full command. So I don't see a way to get your suggestion to work on my MAC. When I use Copy Link Location, that's exactly what is sent in the email message that I sent to myself: I thought you might be interested in reading this web page: http://lounge.window...howtopic=770581
    Obviously, I want the complete post, not the link. Oh hum. Maybe I am missing something?
    Skitterbug, I just did a trial run on Tony's suggested method, but I added one more step -- at the bottom of the automatic message that was generated in the email, I pasted the link I had just copied.

When I received the email message that I sent to myself to test, both the link to the entire thread and my pasted link at the bottom were then available. I suppose, instead of just adding the link one could also delete the suggested text and link to the full thread and replace it with the link to the particular post.

(Edited to add: oops, it looks like that's exactly what Tony recommended -- I missed his step #3 in his original instructions)
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, so you're wanting to email the content of the post, not a link to the post? Something like the "Download it" link but for just one post?

There is no built in functionality for that as far as I can tell.

Regards,
    Tony

Thanks
    I use Jing and it works on a Mac too. It's a small program that lets you capture a screenshot and gives you a hyperlink which you can copy/paste to an email and send it to yourself. You can make the shot as big or small as you like. I've found it to be very useful.

http://screencast.com/t/YWMxY2I3M2Qt

Keep Smiling

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Skitterbug, I just did a trial run on Tony's suggested method, but I added one more step -- at the bottom of the automatic message that was generated in the email, I pasted the link I had just copied.

When I received the email message that I sent to myself to test, both the link to the entire thread and my pasted link at the bottom were then available. I suppose, instead of just adding the link one could also delete the suggested text and link to the full thread and replace it with the link to the particular post.

(Edited to add: oops, it looks like that's exactly what Tony recommended -- I missed his step #3 in his original instructions)
    Thanks for trying Samantha!

Ah, so you're wanting to email the content of the post, not a link to the post? Something like the "Download it" link but for just one post?

There is no built in functionality for that as far as I can tell.

Regards,
    Tony
    Hi Tony

Okay - I guess I'll live with it. It was a nice feature in the "old lounge" but I reckon my brain will remain active by having to figure out different ways to get what I want - done!

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    I use Jing and it works on a Mac too. It's a small program that lets you capture a screenshot and gives you a hyperlink which you can copy/paste to an email and send it to yourself. You can make the shot as big or small as you like. I've found it to be very useful.

http://screencast.com/t/YWMxY2I3M2Qt

Keep Smiling

Hey Jude
    Hey Jude! This looks like a nifty app, but I believe "Grab" in MAC will do the same sort of thing. Jing doesn't seem to capture the R/C popup menu either. Thanks for the link. New stuff is always fun to play with.
    And yes, I'll definitely keep smiling!

Thanks
    Hey Jude! This looks like a nifty app, but I believe "Grab" in MAC will do the same sort of thing. Jing doesn't seem to capture the R/C popup menu either. Thanks for the link. New stuff is always fun to play with.
    And yes, I'll definitely keep smiling!
    I was busy while typing this so missed the other posts sooo now that I know you want the emoticons as well--then Jing won't accomplish that as you noticed. It appears that alot of these are similar to Yahoo Messenger emoticons and when you "show All" you see how they are typed and I wonder if it works to just type them in....

Yes it does

Of course it's not as convenient as clicking the actual smilie...but does work.....

Hey Jude

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    I was busy while typing this so missed the other posts sooo now that I know you want the emoticons as well--then Jing won't accomplish that as you noticed. It appears that alot of these are similar to Yahoo Messenger emoticons and when you "show All" you see how they are typed and I wonder if it works to just type them in....

Yes it does

Of course it's not as convenient as clicking the actual smilie...but does work.....

Hey Jude
    Hi/Hey Jude

I was trying to capture the Right Click Pop Up menu. <Smilies are not a problem for me.> If you ever find an app that will catch these pop up menus when they are on the screen <in MAC software that is> post the link to the app in the Graphic section or Other Applications, and I'll find it.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi/Hey Jude

I was trying to capture the Right Click Pop Up menu. <Smilies are not a problem for me.> If you ever find an app that will catch these pop up menus when they are on the screen <in MAC software that is> post the link to the app in the Graphic section or Other Applications, and I'll find it.
    Thanks!
    I see said the blind man I read R/C to mean reply/comment....duhhhhhh sorry....I will definitely search around for that. Have friends who use "the other "white meat"

Hey Jude

Thanks
    Hi/Hey Jude

Thanks!
    Do you hold the Ctrl down while you right click?
    Hey Jude

Thanks
    Is there a way to confine this action to a single post...?
    One option is to click the 'Print It' link at the bottom of the thread which actually re-renders the thread in 'economy' mode (rather than invoke the Print mechanism).

[attachment=87545:x.gif]

You can then select, copy and paste the selected section either into a word-processing document or into an email to yourself (using HTML format). All hyperlinks are preserved, but some of the colour formatting is lost:

[attachment=87547:y.gif]

(For me, this is with Firefox on Windows XP, so your results may differ wildly... )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (10.8 KB, 1 views)
    • File Type: gif y.gif (10.9 KB, 1 views)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast