Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    For anyone in The Lounge who happens to use the inappropriately named Vista Start Menu, I got an email today that there is a new version available. Look here: Vista Start Menu Convenient alternative to Start menu.

It so happens that I am a paid Pro user and I also got a link in that email for something called a Classic version which I can't (so far) find any reference to on his web site.

And lastly, in the email was a link to a survey and among the questions was what should the program be called, since it's an alternative start menu for XP, Vista AND Windows 7. Hmmm...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Big Al,

I recently switched from Vista HP32 to Win7 HP32 and miss the classic start menu very much. Therefore your message was very timely and I had a look at VistaStarMenu, but could not work out the following:

1) how do I drag (copy) a shortcut from the desktop to the VSM program list?
    2) how do I create a category heading in the program list. E.G. in the Vista classic menu I used to have a category called
    WinUtils, under which I had a whole bunch of (links to) windows utility programs listed.
    3) How do I change the background of the program list, e.g. not glassy but solid white/other colour background.
    4) Is there any help file where this is explained?

I would be delighted if you have the answers and would share them with me.

Regards, Teunis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teunis View Post
    I would be delighted if you have the answers and would share them with me.
    I'm afraid the only question I can answer, Teunis, is number 4: no, there is no help file and when you click Help in the Options button it just opens his web site, where there is no help. He has a forum but I've never gone there.

I think the only reason anyone, including me, ever used this program is to fool around with the background. And I won't bore you with the stupid mistake I made when I paid him for the Pro version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very clear! Including your frank revelation about the payment.
    I was afraid of that.

Regards, Teunis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teunis View Post
    Very clear! Including your frank revelation about the payment.
    I was afraid of that.

Regards, Teunis
    I've used VSM for some time as a sub for the stock start menu in XP. I really haven't tried to do much changing beyond using the default options though.

I suggest you email you questions direct to the VSM author at supportbox@ordinarysoft.com
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That is true and I'm sorry I didn't think to say that. Dennis is very responsive. I've emailed him a few times and (blush) that's the reason I paid him for the Pro version, which I really didn't (and don't) need. But, he tries...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wrote to Dennis too, posing the same questions as in my earlier post. His answer was to get the VistaClassicMenu. But the whole point is that that did not answer my questions. I have done some trial-and-error and refer ro my post above.

@1) You can actually drag the icon to the taskbar and all programs as before, it takes a bit longer and you have move carefully and unhurriedly.
    @) 2) That has to be done by hand, make the system folders visible first: Go to the folder ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Star Menu\Programs and add your category-folder(s) there, do not add files or folders there! Now drag folders/files to the category-folders from the desktop or taskbar or all programs.

Install the free program: CSMenu 1.2 ( http://www.csmenu.com/ ) and you have the old Classic Start menu back for 90%, each time you press Start. If you press Shift-Start you get the new Win7 Start menu, so you can toggle between the two. This probably also works with VistaStartMenu and ClassicStartMenu. I get the feeling Dennis is handling all three programs now, although the sites are different.

@3) I still don't know
    @4) there is no help

Regards, Teunis