Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

We are using Outlook 2003 & 2007 with Exchange (part of SBS2003).

A user wishes to create a rule to automatically forward a message (news letter) received from a particular sender to a list of clients. We wish to use the BCC field to maintain privacy of the client's email addresses. As far as I can tell, you can only forward using the TO field and not the BCC. We don't want to create an individual rule for each client as that could be difficult to manage.

I have used a bit of VBA in Word & Excel, so I would be open to that as a solution if one exists,

Thanks

Matthew

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeyser View Post
    A user wishes to create a rule to automatically forward a message (news letter) received from a particular sender to a list of clients. We wish to use the BCC field to maintain privacy of the client's email addresses. As far as I can tell, you can only forward using the TO field and not the BCC. We don't want to create an individual rule for each client as that could be difficult to manage.
    Not difficult to manage with the combination of a Rule and some VBA. There will have to be a single address on the TO: line. How will the newsletter be identified - a combination of Sender and Subject? Will the user use a Distribution List for the client addresses?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

The original incoming email will be identified by the sender's FROM email address.

We are hoping to use a Distribution List but how that will interact with Exchange I'm not sure. I have little knowledge on Exchange as IT support isn't my primary job. Ideally I would like the Distribution List to be managed by the user, without creating a mess in the common Exchange address list.

Regards,

Matthew

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeyser View Post
    The original incoming email will be identified by the sender's FROM email address. We are hoping to use a Distribution List but how that will interact with Exchange I'm not sure. Ideally I would like the Distribution List to be managed by the user, without creating a mess in the common Exchange address list.
    Matthew, some answers and a few steps for you:

This approach works on the client (individual user) end, not at/on the Exchange Server. An Exchange Server solution is beyond my scope; you need to talk to your Exchange Server Admin for that; scripting for Exchange is a different game. And this Client Side solution has one obvious drawback - it only works when Outlook is running.

Your first step is to set up your Rule and make sure it correctly identifies the incoming message to be forwarded; the Rule is where/what you hook the code into.

Here's starter code you'll need to modify and test. Save it in a standard Outlook VBE module on the user's PC. To test it I recommend you set up a test Distribution list with people inside your company. Within the code change the TO: line addressee, Dist List Name, and the name of the Forwarder to be added to the message body text.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306108 for how to attach this code to the Rule.

Code:
    Sub FwdToDistList(msg As MailItem) ' hooked to Rule
      Dim msgFwd As Outlook.MailItem
      Dim objBCCRecips As Recipient
      Dim intC As Integer

Set msgFwd = msg.Copy ' create a new copy for forwarding
      With msgFwd
        For intC = .Recipients.Count To 1 Step -1
          .Recipients.Remove intC ' remove existing recipients
        Next intC
        .Recipients.Add "mkeyser@myentity.com" ' set the TO: line addressee, must be at least one
        Set objBCCRecips = .Recipients.Add("TestList") ' add the Distribution List
        objBCCRecips.Resolve ' check that the Distribution List is valid
        If objBCCRecips.Resolved Then
          objBCCRecips.Type = olBCC ' set it as BCC
        Else
          MsgBox objBCCRecips.Name & "not found when attempting to forward " & msgFwd.Subject, , vbCritical + vbOKOnly ' pop a message if Dist List not found
          GoTo CLEANUP: ' Dist List name not valid, or there's another problem with it, end the sub without further action
        End If
        ' from here ...
        If msgFwd.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML Then
          .Subject = .Subject & "<CR>" ' HTML paragraph break
        Else
          .Subject = .Subject & vbCrLf & vbCrLf ' standard line break
        End If
        .Subject = .Subject & "Forwarded by Matthew Keyser"
        ' to the above line we add a message explaining that this is forwarded by your employee - all optional
        .Save
        ' .Display ' uncomment out for initial testing
        .Send ' comment out for initial testing
      End With
    CLEANUP:
      Set objBCCRecips = Nothing
      Set msgFwd = Nothing
    End Sub
    Hope this works, post back with the specific line and message if the code errors out, or with any other questions.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks John.

Your effort is appreciated. A client solution (with its limitations) is much easier for me to understand.

I will test it in the next few days and report back how it went.

Regards,

Matthew